Outer Circle (2/59) bus route in 2003

Hello folks.

There are a few other threads on this forum going back through the years talking about the now discontinued Inner / Outer Circle bus routes.

In October 2003, when I was a student, I persuaded a friend to buy an all day ticket with me and go (almost) the whole way, from West Street to Hilsborough via bloody everywhere in between.

I happened to have my first digital camera at the time, and as quickly as it could cope (with a 10 second pause to think after each photo) I tried to record the journey.

I'm now working on making a little photo-book of these snaps. They're becoming more of an historical artefact with every year.

I was wondering if anyone could post or share a map (presumably SYPTE rather than First) of the route we would have taken around about that time? There is a scan of a much older map on the forums, but that dates from when it was a full circle, rather than the 300º (ish) circle it was when we took it.

Many thanks. :D

Which route did u do was it 2 or 59

Edited by bus man

I think it was 59. Glossop Road (outbound) then anticlockwise to Hilsborough. I took a pic of the bus after arriving in Hilsborough, and the banner shows 59 Eccleshall, although I'm not sure if that had already been changed for the next run.

Thanks

Here is a link to a 1950s fare table showing fare stages on the original (2/3) route. From Malin Bridge the No 2 buses went up Rivelin Valley and the No 3 came down the valley. In 1970 the complete circle was broken, with Rivelin Valley (the section that had carried least passengers) being missed out. From 1970 onwards the 2/59 route started from Malin Bridge and continued along most of the original circle to Crosspool. Changes were made in the 1980s/90s, and for a time the route was between Malin Bridge and Ecclesall / Banner Cross, though the section from Malin Bridge to Shiregreen remained unchanged (a diversion to include Meadowhall was made when this bus station opened).

Edited by hillsbro

We as teenagers used to catch the 2 or 59 bus at sheffield lane top to malin bridge then go up Rivelyn Valley only ever went that way on it though!

Back in the late 50s early 60s i lived at gleadless and we used to go all way round on no 2 or 3,total journey took nearly 2 hours,and stopped at malin bridge for about 10 mins where we used to get off and go to shop to get chocolate and pop,then back on bus for rest of journey.

...total journey took nearly 2 hours...
Yes - it took 1 hour 55 minutes - see here.
... stopped at malin bridge for about 10 mins where we used to get off and go to shop to get chocolate and pop...
Yes, and the driver & conductor would go to Daubney's cafe for a cup of tea. The "good old days" of a more leisurely age! Edited by hillsbro

We used to catch the number 2 from Crosspool in the early 1970s to go to the dentist's near Hunter's Bar, and then come back via the inner circle (number 9, I think?) via Broomhill. I've no idea why my mother did a circle like that, I don't recall coming back the same way as the outward. did the bus only go one way around the circle?

...did the bus only go one way around the circle?
No, the number 3 went the other way..:)

Thanks Hillsbro. Curious, I don't remember ever catching a number 3 or even knowing of it's existence. I guess mother had a particular routine that she used to stick to, so we always came back via Broomhill. Either that or the times were more convenient. We'll never know!

Thanks Hillsbro. Curious, I don't remember ever catching a number 3 or even knowing of it's existence. I guess mother had a particular routine that she used to stick to, so we always came back via Broomhill. Either that or the times were more convenient. We'll never know!

2 & 3 were good routes. As kids with nothing to do we stayed on for quite a while looking at other areas of Sheffield all for a penny (0/1d), the conductors didn't bother the buses were empty during the day.

There are people who mention the number 3 as the opposite to the number 2.

Can anyone remember a year when it did this?

Was there an opposite of the 59?

Outer Circle June 1987

City - Wadsley Bridge

2 CBS, Paternoster Row, Leopold Street, West St., Glossop Rd., RHS, Newbould Ln., Crookes Rd., Lydgate Ln., Crosspool (certain Journeys via KEVII hospital to Malin Bridge), Coldwell Ln, Ivy Park Rd., Gladstone Rd., Hangingwater, Oakbrook, Rustlings, Ecclesall, Carterknowle, Woodseats and Scarsdale Roads, Derbyshire Ln., Graves Park, Hemsworth Road, Norton Ln., Norton Avenue, Ridgeway Rd., Prince of Wales Rd., Greenland Road, Broughton Ln., Attercliffe Common, Weedon St.,Jenkin Rd., Tyler St., Barrow Rd., Merton Ln., Newman Rd., Shiregreen Ln., Hatfield House Ln., Barnsley Rd., Herries Dr., Herries Rd., Leppings Ln., Middlewood Rd.,Holme Ln., Stannington Rd. and Loxley New Rd.

59 CBS, Paternoster Row, Leopold Street, West St., Glossop Rd., RHS, Clarkehouse Rd., Brocco Bank., Ecclesall, Carterknowle, Woodseats and Chesterfield Roads, Bochum Parkway, Norton Lane Norton Avenue, Ridgeway Rd., Prince of Wales Rd., Greenland Road, Broughton Ln., Attercliffe Common, Weedon St.,Jenkin Rd., Tyler St., Barrow Rd., Merton Ln., Newman Rd., Shiregreen Ln., Hatfield House Ln., Barnsley Rd., Herries Dr./,Herries Rd., Leppings Ln., Middlewood Rd.,Holme Ln., Stannington Rd. and Loxley New Rd.

Wadsley Bridge - City

2 The reverse route was nearly identical.

59 The reverse route was nearly identical.