Last 3 years of the city's trams

Thank you for sharing those memories westmoors.

Hi everyone,

I have a question which perhaps one of you tram buffs could kindly answer?

I'm refering to the thread 'Anyone worked at Firth Brown's?' page 16.

We are discussing a photo which is on Picture Sheffield of a tram on Carlisle Street East. I'm wondering why there is apparently a track crossover on the photo.

Sorry I'm not able to give you a direct link, but to see the pic type in u00152 after clicking this....http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Don't forget you can still ride a tram at Crich tramway museum.

...We are discussing a photo which is on Picture Sheffield of a tram on Carlisle Street East. I'm wondering why there is apparently a track crossover on the photo. Sorry I'm not able to give you a direct link, but to see the pic type in u00152 after clicking this....www.picturesheffield.co.uk
Hi Peter - the title of the photo u00152 is "Tram No. 536, Savile Street" (as far as I know, Carlisle Street didn't have trams). It looks like the junction of Savile Street East and Carwood Road, where there was a crossover - here's a map. Apart from their use at a terminus, crossovers were sometimes positioned so that if a tram ended its journey early it could return to the city centre. I remember there was a crossover in Middlewood Road adjacent to the park, which could be used by trams on the Middlewood route that didn't need to go further than Leppings Lane. Edited by hillsbro

Hi Peter - the title of the photo u00152 is "Tram No. 536, Savile Street" (as far as I know, Carlisle Street didn't have trams). It looks like the junction of Savile Street East and Carwood Road, where there was a crossover - here's a map. Apart from their use at a terminus, crossovers were sometimes positioned so that if a tram ended its journey early it could return to the city centre. I remember a similar crossover in Middlewood Road adjacent to the park, which could be used by trams on the Middlewood route that didn't need to go further than Leppings Lane.

Hi hillsbro,

Temporary malfunction :) So sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase :loopy:

I know it's at the junction of Savile Street East and Carwood Road as I worked at Firth Brown's 1959/65. I would have boarded a tram for Firth Park, up to the closure in 1960, at a few yards left of pic. u00152 .

Thankyou for the map showing the layout of the tram tracks at that point.

Your comments about finishing a route early makes complete sence to me in the case in question, as I envisage thousands of workers at Firth Brown's would have only needed to get from the city to as far as that crossover.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I believe that Sheffield used single bogey trams because they were perceived to give better traction on our steep hills.

Hi Peter - the title of the photo u00152 is "Tram No. 536, Savile Street" (as far as I know, Carlisle Street didn't have trams). It looks like the junction of Savile Street East and Carwood Road, where there was a crossover - here's a map. Apart from their use at a terminus, crossovers were sometimes positioned so that if a tram ended its journey early it could return to the city centre. I remember there was a crossover in Middlewood Road adjacent to the park, which could be used by trams on the Middlewood route that didn't need to go further than Leppings Lane.

After all these years I don't know just where it is but it looks strange. have a close look at the tracks, it seems as though the tram is coming off a siding instead of one of the proper tracks. There is a cross over there but not enough photo to confirm it fully , but have you noticed that although there seem to be passengers inside there is no overhead trolley in evidence , perhaps they thought it more neat to stow it for the photo !

... it seems as though the tram is coming off a siding instead of one of the proper tracks...
That's exactly what I thought, westmoors, but it seems that the rail furthest from the camera cannot be seen very well in the photo. So I downloaded the image and worked on the brightness/contrast with Photoshop. The rail is there, albeit faint, and I've indicated it with arrows on this part of the photo.
.. have you noticed that although there seem to be passengers inside there is no overhead trolley in evidence , perhaps they thought it more neat to stow it for the photo !
Yes - an interesting point! My guess is that this was a special run during "Last Tram Week" in 1960. Trams stopped running to Brightside in 1958 though the tracks might still have been there. No 536 (the last Sheffield tram to be scrapped at T.W. Ward's) looks very clean, and the notices in the windows might have something to do with the "last tram" commemoration. Edited by hillsbro

That's exactly what I thought, westmoors, but it seems that the rail furthest from the camera cannot be seen very well in the photo. So I downloaded the image and worked on the brightness/contrast with Photoshop. The rail is there, albeit faint, and I've indicated it with arrows on this part of the photo.Yes - an interesting point! My guess is that this was a special run during "Last Tram Week" in 1960. Trams stopped running to Brightside in 1958 though the tracks might still have been there. No 536 (the last Sheffield tram to be scrapped at T.W. Ward's) looks very clean, and the notices in the windows might have something to do with the "last tram" commemoration.

High hillsbro and westmoors,

I thought the rail may be a layby, but with the aid of Picture Sheffield's zoom facility and my 'high tec' magnifying glass which I inherited from my dear mother, I also saw the elusive rail.

I also assumed that it was very likely a ''Last Tram Week'' special. My memory tells me that I used the tram to travel along Savile Street East to Firth Park until closure in 1960. Was the track still in fact operational to the Upwell Street turn off Brightside Lane and to Firth Park then??

Re the ''missing'' boom. Using the afforementioned technics, I believe the boom is in fact there, just to the left of the big chimney immediately behind the first window frame on the tram side. It appears to be vertical just when the camera shutter clicked, and will in fact be sloping away and the trolley seems to be following the overhead wire across.

Any good?? :)

Edited by PeterR

... It appears to be vertical just when the camera shutter clicked, and will in fact be sloping away and the trolley seems to be following the overhead wire across. Any good?? :)
Yes - spot on! The usual loop of wire near the end of the boom can just be seen in the photo. But my goodness - it's a long time since I enjoyed a glass of "Golden Mead Ale"...:)

Hi Peter - the title of the photo u00152 is "Tram No. 536, Savile Street" (as far as I know, Carlisle Street didn't have trams). It looks like the junction of Savile Street East and Carwood Road, where there was a crossover - here's a map. Apart from their use at a terminus, crossovers were sometimes positioned so that if a tram ended its journey early it could return to the city centre. I remember there was a crossover in Middlewood Road adjacent to the park, which could be used by trams on the Middlewood route that didn't need to go further than Leppings Lane.

Thanks Hillbro. I must have must have walked over that crossover countless times as a kid and never noticed it and your explanation satisfied my curiosty

Maps with tram tracks and crossovers too. whatever next?