Tramps home west bar

HERE it is. There are other threads on the hostel (very interesting). Do a search.

Isnt that now the "7 spice" restaurant ?

Isnt that now the "7 spice" restaurant ?

Yup it is (at least downstairs)

The Don Cinema building is still there, opposite the Law Courts. The Brittania Theatre was across from the 'Hostel'.[/QUO

In the fifties my mother used to take me to a store just beyond the hostel on the same side, for clothes' and I could swear it was a branch of 'Wigfall's' who weren't known for haberdashery.

TE]

I don't live in Sheffield anymore but when I saw 'Law Courts' I had to go into Google Maps and look. Where did they come from and are they real courts? What happened to the Courts on Snig Hill? and while I'm about it, what happened to the Fire Headquarters on Wellington Street?

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 01:57 ----------

HERE it is. There are other threads on the hostel (very interesting). Do a search.

When I attended Burngreave school, we had a certain teacher who advised us to absorb everything we were taught, as a consequence of not doing so in later life was that we could become 'West Bar Hosteler's'. (I believe by 1960 the place had ceased to be that function) Some kids would look around in dis-belief not knowing what he meant, but a few of us did. Poor souls that had to live there, I bet nearly all war vets too!

The Bradford Woollen Co. occupied the former Don cinema; they extended the original building and renamed it "Progress House". It's now occupied by the Armadillo self-storage company.

The former West Bar hostel was occupied by P.W. Lacey - here's a photo. More information is in this thread..:)

The frontage on the Armadillo storage company is a planning disaster.

...What happened to the Courts on Snig Hill?...
The old Court House (formerly the Town Hall) was on the corner of Castle Street and Waingate. It closed many years ago and the (Grade II listed) building has, unfortunately, been empty and neglected ever since - see here. The Magistrates' Court moved to a new building nearby in the angle of Castle Street and Snig Hill, and the Crown Court moved to another new building on West Bar, almost opposite the former Don cinema.
The frontage on the Armadillo storage company is a planning disaster.
It certainly is..:| Edited by hillsbro

when I was growing up my dad would often say if you don't start behaving I'll send you down to west bar hostel for a night. :help: