Housing Associations

I am trying to find a local Housing Associations who would be willing to take on and rent out (long term) a nice 3 bed semi detached fully furnished house.

I have tried phoning a few, but most haven't got back to me, and those that have, aren't interested.

I'm doing this on behalf of a friend who is no longer able to manage it herself, and am not sure how to go about it.

Can anyone help?

What about signing it up with a letting agent? Even after fees you will likely get more rent, and it probably won't get destroyed.

What about signing it up with a letting agent? Even after fees you will likely get more rent, and it probably won't get destroyed.

Friend wants a Housing Association. Thinks they're more trustworthy and less about profit than Letting Agents. I wouldn't know.

Friend wants a Housing Association. Thinks they're more trustworthy and less about profit than Letting Agents.

A Housing Association is a far better prospect, as long as your solicitor is happy with the proposed documentation.

A Housing Association is a far better prospect, as long as your solicitor is happy with the proposed documentation.

Must admit I thought that too, but she can't find any willing to take it. Hence the question.

From my experience of 25+ years in social housing a housing association is highly unlikely to want to rent from a private individual except in exceptional circumstances - eg short term supported housing / refugee projects and the like. These are high wear and tear - and it is quite a bit more expensive to maintain / manage isolated properties as opposed to estates. The rent they are likely to want to pay to the owner is considerably less than if let privately to say a professional couple.

What housing associations can charge tenants is regulated (and is currently subject to reductions);

http://www.socialhousing.co.uk/has-ordered-to-cut-social-housing-rents-by-1-per-year-for-four-years/7010692.article#

Housing Associations also let many properties to people on housing benefit - which is again restricted whereas letting privately will by subject to what people are willing to pay.

Edited by Longcol

Or you could contact the private rented solutions team at the council. They don't manage properties but will source a tenant, offer a bond, provide all paperwork and arrange for housing benefit payments to go direct to the landlord (unless the applicant is a single person in receipt of universal credit). They are always seeking properties for families at risk of homelessness.

I can't see how this can be? Private you will likely get a better quality tenant and more rent??

HA you have a higher risk of a bad tenant, lower rent etc.

Unless i'm missing something?

Hello Bonjon,

We are a family run property letting company with over 15 years experience in the property rental market if your friend is interested in us marketing the property please send me a message or contact me on 07711185859. We charge low tenant find find fees and reasonable on going commission rates.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 13:01 ----------

Sorry previous message was meant for Anna B, am new to forum.

Crucible Sales and Lettings maybe? They're an off-shot of SYHA

I can't see how this can be? Private you will likely get a better quality tenant and more rent??

HA you have a higher risk of a bad tenant, lower rent etc.

Unless i'm missing something?

I understand Housing Associations will pay full rent to cover all void periods, and do all the repairs etc between tenants.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 18:59 ----------

Thank you all for the other information, very useful. I will look into all your suggestions.

I understand Housing Associations will pay full rent to cover all void periods, and do all the repairs etc between tenants.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 18:59 ----------

The problem is the Housing Benefit.

A Housing Association will only be able to have a rental income while the property is being let. A Housing Association will need to have enough income from the rent that they charge the tenant, to pay your friends' rent (Chief Landlord's rent) and cover the 'management costs'.

Things like covering rent loss during void periods all has to be covered within the management costs. Management costs will also need to cover the cost of the staff to manage the property, and repairs which the HA would be liable for.

The amount of Housing Benefit which can be paid on a social rented property is being squeezed by the Government.

So, the amount of HB will probably not cover the 'chief landlord's rent' and management costs.