What is classed as "reasonable time frame"

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what is a reasonable time frame for a boiler to be fixed by a lamadlord. The managing estate agent are being very unhelpful ( which I think is a the real problem and not the landlord) The boiler has been broken since Sunday and was condemned yesterday. I have no heating or hot water. And two young children. What's my best course of action as I'm getting quite frustrated with the letting agents relaxed approach about not doing anything about this problem.

Sorry I can't help you with the information you are asking. I would ask citizens advice.

From a personal point of view I would expect it to be done within 48 hours at this time of year, regardless of the fact you have young kids.

The landlord should have someone to service the boiler annually so they should have known the condition of the boiler. I'm saying this as we have ours done annually and we were aware ours was getting difficult to buy parts for. We own our own house but I would expect a landlord to have something in place. The company we use are great. They came our on new years day last year and didn't rip us off. They are on call if we need advice on buttons to reset and they will come out as an emergency same day if boiler isn't working at all. They are not the cheapest but not expensive for the service they provide. I know you can't get it sorted yourself but I'm just trying to let you know that rapid service at a reasonable price is available, should they try to leave you longer by blaming it on someone else.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Thanks so much for that reply. When I owned my own home and the boiler needed replacing I got it done the same day- I'm just not sure what the obligations of a landlord is as " reasonable time" is so vague

Its not always so easy to replace a boiler same day but they should have realised it was on its last legs. I will be interested to know the answer to what is "reasonable".

Edit - this is what you need to read. It lists landlords legal obligations:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/disrepair-landlord-and-tenant-repair-responsibilities/disrepair-what-are-the-landlord-s-responsibilities/

Edited by Chez2
link to landlords legal responsibilites

Me too. I didn't really expect same Day to be honest - but spending 4 days getting quotes alone is, I would say unreasonable surely?

They should have done that in advance. They should have something in place in case of an emergency.

It was cold when we had to shut ourselves in the bedroom with an electric fire to keep warm until the next morning. We have an immersion heater as back up so could at least have a wash in warm water.

I don't think there is a legal definition of "reasonable" on that link I have just given you.

Last place I rented the boiler wouldn't come on in the morning and the landlord had a plumber out to fix it the same afternoon.

on a Sunday!

They should come out within 24 hours or same day to look at it if you call them early enough. If you need a replacement boiler it may not be in stock. Ours is a bit bigger than most standard boilers.

This is who we have used for years. They do landlord contacts too. We can't fault them. Pass this to your landlord.

http://millsideheatandenergysolutions.co.uk/

Yes an advanced plan would have been nice, my issue is that the letting agen are being difficult and it's very frustrating. I have contacted the council who will be contacting the letting agent to see if they can put a bit of pressure on!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Threaten proceedings against L (not the Agent- your contract is only with L).

Courts look seriously at gross dereliction of duty, esp. heating failure in cold weather.

Me too. I didn't really expect same Day to be honest - but spending 4 days getting quotes alone is, I would say unreasonable surely?

It broke on Sunday, sounds like they got someone out to look at it by Tuesday ( who condemned it) and today is Wednesday. So they haven't spent 4 days getting quotes from what you've said :confused: I assume they only started looking for a quote for a new boiler yesterday.

It's unfortunate but give them a chance!

It broke on Sunday, sounds like they got someone out to look at it by Tuesday ( who condemned it) and today is Wednesday. So they haven't spent 4 days getting quotes from what you've said :confused: I assume they only started looking for a quote for a new boiler yesterday.

It's unfortunate but give them a chance!

Tuesday isn't quick enough when its not working at all in cold weather. The landlord should have some emergency procedure in place so it's not unreasonable to expect someone to come out on Monday of not the Sunday. If the boiler has been serviced annually they should have a good idea what state it's in and how easy it is to repair and the availability of spare parts.

As I said, our boiler was getting old and they came out on new years day. The previous year they came out on boxing day and they aren't particularly local. We didn't even pay for a standby service either, just the call out and annual service.

If its condemned then it couldn't have been a surprise that it was on its last legs.