David Brent Life on the Road

Has anyone seen it yet, what's it like? Gervais is obviously a southern centric comedian, does the film appeal to a Sheffield sense of humour?

Has anyone seen it yet, what's it like? Gervais is obviously a southern centric comedian, does the film appeal to a Sheffield sense of humour?

I wouldn't say he is a southern centric comic I would say he is a complete marmite comic.

Personally I cant stand the guy. Arrogant (..well beyond his perceived "act"), childish and a complete one trick pony. I find the whole David Brent thing well past its sell by date and milked to within an inch of its life.

On the other hand, fans of him not only find him hillarious but some go as far to class him as a comic genius. Despite my opinion of him, I cannot deny that he makes millions and sells out show after show.

Edited by ECCOnoob

My son went to see it and was disappointed.

He really loves The Office but as ECCOnoob says its a programme people either love or hate. He said he was a bit let down because the comedy side of the film had been made too generic almost, obviously in an attempt to appeal to the masses and not just the original fans if that makes sense?!

The areas around town of Slough seem to feature pretty consistently in his "The Office" related material, in my book he seems to be aiming for a more Southern based audience. If we look at a comedian such as Peter Kay he bases his shows mostly around Greater Manchester and Lancashire. I imagine many Southerns wouldn't particularly "get" Kay's humour.

If anyone can name a good spin off film based on a comedy I haven't seen it.

Edited by tinfoilhat

If anyone can name a spin off film based on a comedy I haven't seen it.

Have you missed the word "good" out?

I went to see it last week and thought it really good you either get his humour or you don't I would call it cringey but he can do other things as well what about ghost town or Derrick? I think it's a bit like Steve coogans Alan Partridge character you either get it or you don't but he can do other things as well

Have you missed the word "good" out?

I have!!!!!!!!!

As David Brent very funny, in films like Night of the Museum, unfunny, seems like a one trick pony to me, mind you on saying that Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are hard acts to follow.:roll:

Another of the "I cant stand the guy" comments from me.

He is a person that thinks he is funny and then tries to convince others the same. I think the film also got slated by many critics as being a film for cash rather than comedy.

I went to one of his standup previews a couple of weeks before the film came out and wasn't impressed. I like him but too often he falls back on either Jimmy Carr-like shock tactics or faux boastfulness. Thought the film was brilliant, though. Much better than I'd hoped for.

If anyone can name a good spin off film based on a comedy I haven't seen it.

I thought Alan Partridge's Alpha Papa wasn't bad.