Leasehold Error

Hi guys, could do with some advise. I live in Brinsworth and pay around £9 annually for the ground rent, there is about 700 years left on the lease (which we cannot find). Even though we thought we had done everything correct with regards to planning permission etc we did not know that we needed to get permission from the leaseholder to build an extension.

2 Years after the extension was built and signed off a friend who did the same thing got a letter from the free holder asking for their extension be ripped down or pay £1,500 retrospective planning permission, needless to say they are going for the latter.

Now knowing this, we need to act, I have called the Freeholder and they have said they would want £2,000 to buy the freehold. Could anyone advise me what is the best way forward as obviously we want to do the right thing and get this sorted but money will be a problem! Apart from the obvious reasons, we are wanting to rent out our house next September and would need the permission unless we bought the lease (this is what alerted us to the fact that we needed permission to extend). As you can imagine my head is all over the place and any advice would be extremely welcomed

I have sent an e-mail to you.

You say that we needed to get permission from the leaseholder to build an extension.

But you yourself are the leaseholders; you therefore meant "...from the freehold reversioner..."

The way forwards is to serve Notice of Claim. Never agree such a loopy price- it should be more like £300 + legal fees, or about £600 inc.