Council and water rates

why is it in a council flat we pay £100 per year water rates more than yorkshire waters average cost??, eg 8.57 x 50 weeks = 428.50 and yourshire water web site state average chatge 2013/4 is 368, are council ripping us off here???

why is it in a council flat we pay £100 per year water rates more than yorkshire waters average cost??, eg 8.57 x 50 weeks = 428.50 and yourshire water web site state average chatge 2013/4 is 368, are council ripping us off here???

The council also charge a fee for collecting it and that figure from Yorkshire water is also an average.

You are lucky though as I pay £504 PA for a council flat.

You are paying £429 a YEAR for water in a flat?

Jesus, I pay no more than £200 a year and I live in a house! Get on a meter, sharpish!

An average is just that...some pay more, some pay less...

The useage of water obviously depends on how many people are living in the property, and the way is used, eg baths vs showers, dishwasher, etc.

When I still had my family living with me in my house, I paid £27 per month on a water meter, which was substantially less than when I paid on the rateable value. So, I was paying £324 a year for fairly heavy useage, including hosepipe for the garden (way back when we actually had summers!)

I think you are paying way too much if it's a flat. You should definitely speak to the Council.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 13:12 ----------

The council also charge a fee for collecting it and that figure from Yorkshire water is also an average.

You are lucky though as I pay £504 PA for a council flat.

Surely these charges by the Council can't be right? Check it out with them. You might even be entitled to a refund :)

How much is your rent compared to a 1 bed flat on the private rented market? Surely, it's just swings and roundabouts... Save hundreds compared to the market rate in one area and have to pay a bit more in an other?

The useage of water obviously depends on how many people are living in the property, and the way is used, eg baths vs showers, dishwasher, etc.

When I still had my family living with me in my house, I paid £27 per month on a water meter, which was substantially less than when I paid on the rateable value. So, I was paying £324 a year for fairly heavy useage, including hosepipe for the garden (way back when we actually had summers!)

I think you are paying way too much if it's a flat. You should definitely speak to the Council.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 13:12 ----------

Surely these charges by the Council can't be right? Check it out with them. You might even be entitled to a refund :)

No they are correct as of the bill I received only today.

I had thought about getting a meter but it may not be possible when living in a flat.

Aren't water rates somehow connected to a notional property value?

Aren't water rates somehow connected to a notional property value?

Where a property doesn't have a water meter, the charge is based on the old rateable value. We (two of us) have a meter, never have baths just showers (not a power shower), and have a water butt for the garden. We pay nearly £500 a year.

We're trying to work out if we've got a leak somewhere. :confused:

Actually, that's a point. It's probably not possible to have a water meter if you're in a flat. I'd still get in touch with the Council though, and go through the bill with them. Ask how they reach that figure.

Yes, I always understood that water rates are based on the old rateable value of the property. In which case that's probably what the Council are basing their water charges on, ie the rateable value of the individual flat. Would comparing it with your Council Tax band help?

I've yet to hear of anyone who pays more on a water meter, than when they were paying water rates.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 14:08 ----------

Where a property doesn't have a water meter, the charge is based on the old rateable value. We (two of us) have a meter, never have baths just showers (not a power shower), and have a water butt for the garden. We pay nearly £500 a year.

We're trying to work out if we've got a leak somewhere. :confused:

Wow. That sounds a lot! Could you get your meter checked ... I reckon it's faulty. Perhaps it needs replacing.

Actually, that's a point. It's probably not possible to have a water meter if you're in a flat. I'd still get in touch with the Council though, and go through the bill with them. Ask how they reach that figure.

We are in a flat, albeit not a council property, and on meter for our water. They connected the meter to the cold inlet pipe in our riser and I believe will still install meters for free. I would have thought that this should be able to be done in other flats unless the plumbing is convoluted. With meter, for two of us, we pay around £250 per annum. The council will reach that figure via the rateable values, as mentioned earlier.

We are in a flat, albeit not a council property, and on meter for our water. They connected the meter to the cold inlet pipe in our riser and I believe will still install meters for free. I would have thought that this should be able to be done in other flats unless the plumbing is convoluted. With meter, for two of us, we pay around £250 per annum. The council will reach that figure via the rateable values, as mentioned earlier.

Many thanks, that's good to know.