Giving up London for Sheffield

Hello! I am new! Hope everyone is well.

Subject says it all pretty much. I am a Londoner, always have been, but currently thinking about moving.

So, anyone here lived in both London and Sheffield? Which city do you prefer and why?

Cheers!

hi there...first of all welcome to sheffield.......in my humble opinio...sheffiled is defenitly smaller than london...but i think its more quieter...peacful and much safer....i don`t know much about london as i have benn there for just six hours......:D

Hi there.

I lived in London (Isleworth, Hounslow and Richmond) for 3 years but Sheffield is my hometown.

I liked both. When I was down there I longed for the peace and tranquility of the countryside (the real stuff). I missed being able to smile at somebody on a bus or in the street and not be considered some sort of nutter or pervert. I also missed real beer which sadly London is lacking in.

When I came back to Sheffield I missed the hustle and bustle of there always being something to do. I also missed anonimity in a funny sort of way - as in not having everybody know your business.

I was going to stay down there as I had a teaching job lined up in Southall but funding was withdrawn at the last minute and I didn't fancy being unemployed down there.

On balance I believe that I have a much better quality of life up here.

:lol:

Hi,

I lived in Sheffield for 4 years while at the University and now we (myself and wife) have lived in London for 5 years but are selling up to move back!

I think that Sheffield is much more friendly, it has almost anything you would expect from a large city in terms of facilities, whilst not as extensive as London you can do most things.

I actually prefer Sheffield nightlife as it's a bit more intimate and less anonymous. After a night out in town a taxi home to one of the suburbs will cost you nearer £5 than the £45 that I have to pay now.

The new city centre living and revival means that you can live a city centre life for suburban London prices - I don't know many young people who can afford to live in central London flats?

I won't miss the tube or rubbish trains (though northern trains are just as cr&p - you don't have to use them!).

I think I'll like London more as an occasional tourist...

...on the whole I'm looking forward to moving back.

All the best!

hi

re the london/sheffield debate

i live in sheffield,walkley and havedone for the last year and previous to that lived in london for 21 years where i was born and bred and all my family still are

to mo i am amazed as i come from isleworth and used to shop in hounslow and richmond, what a small world

i love sheffield and only picked it on a whim as a place to live but really can see myself settling here

there is loads of things i miss about london, much more upto date fashion, much wider choice of nightlife eating out the list does go on ....

however sheffield is so lovely and fun, people are genuine and as someone who is pregnant (33 weeks and counting!) i think a brilliant place for a child to grow up and have the best of both.

i would never live in the country and feel i can get about so easily and really enjoy living in sheffield wheras in london it is so spread out it can be very difficult seeing friends on a whim

very interested to hear what other londoners have to say

Originally posted by suzimae

hi

re the london/sheffield debate

i live in sheffield,walkley and havedone for the last year and previous to that lived in london for 21 years where i was born and bred and all my family still are

to mo i am amazed as i come from isleworth and used to shop in hounslow and richmond, what a small world

i love sheffield and only picked it on a whim as a place to live but really can see myself settling here

there is loads of things i miss about london, much more upto date fashion, much wider choice of nightlife eating out the list does go on ....

however sheffield is so lovely and fun, people are genuine and as someone who is pregnant (33 weeks and counting!) i think a brilliant place for a child to grow up and have the best of both.

i would never live in the country and feel i can get about so easily and really enjoy living in sheffield wheras in london it is so spread out it can be very difficult seeing friends on a whim

very interested to hear what other londoners have to say

Hi Suzi. I don't think that we had ever met as by my reckoning you were just being born as I was leaving London :lol:

I used to live in College Road. Where did you live?

hey mo

i actually am 26 lives in brighton,ipswich and milton keynes between london and sheffield!

i sed to live on talbot road in isleworth where my mum still llives and the h37 runs at the top

what does the word mogden mean to you?

love to hear more.....

I think this is a brilliant thread. All those people who are contemplating writing a post knocking Sheffield should take a deep breath and read through this thread first.

OMG I'm confused. I accidently replied to Suzi instead of London Girl re living in Isleworth. Do you mean to tell me Suzi that you lived there too?

Suzi mogden doesn't mean anything to me, should it? The nearest I can offer is Mogadon sleeping tablets.

mogden is the local sewer in isleworth

its an in joke for locals so was just testing u

Originally posted by suzimae

mogden is the local sewer in isleworth

its an in joke for locals so was just testing u

Oh I could never profess to be a local. Even though I lived there for 3 years I never once saw my next door neighbour.... now thats scary.

Never heard of the sewer name though but believe me I lived there, went to WLIHE. :lol:

I moved up from South London about 12 weeks ago. Despite living in London for all my previous 34 years I had grown to hate it and I'm sooooooo gald to be here!

I moved to Sheffield because of it's proximity to the Peak District (I cycle a lot), because I have some family here (and therefore knew the city a little), it's not too far from London for family/friend visits and because I could afford to move to one of the better areas (thanks to the ridiculous amount of money I made from the sale of my London house).

I now live in Totley, which I love. It's 5 minutes on the bike from the glorious peak district and only takes me 25 minutes to cycle to my office in town. The schools are great and the people friendly.

Whilst there are still areas of Sheffield that are similar to the sh*t hole in which I used to live in (full of low-lifes who nick and burn out cars, vandalise and terrorise), these are thankfully no more than a reminder of what I have left behind.