Have chain restaurants reduced the food quality because of vouchers?

All year the majority of restaurants in Sheffield centre have been offering one meal free or similar offer to get customers. Have they reduced the quality of the food or are they just making less money while they wait for things to improve? It does seem that instead of the occasional promotion these chain places are expecting everyone to have a voucher of some sorts unless it's at the weekend. I went to Cafe Rouge last night having never been before and it was pretty naff, the Seafood Stew / casserole thing was without a doubt some form of leek and potato soup with some bits of fish added at the end, the Duck comfit was equally poor. I don't expect nouvelle cuisine for my reasonably priced meal but has the place always been this naff? Are they all lowering the standards because they are forced to sell it cheap or did they previously make far too much money?

:confused:

The cost of the food is a negligible quantity in the overall costs for providing a meal. In essence, it costs them no more to provide two meals than one. This is largely true of all restaurants, unless you insist on going somewhere that buys ultra-expensive ingredients that serve little purpose.

The cost of the food is a negligible quantity in the overall costs for providing a meal. In essence, it costs them no more to provide two meals than one. This is largely true of all restaurants, unless you insist on going somewhere that buys ultra-expensive ingredients that serve little purpose.

Valid point, the rent alone on that place must be huge.

:)

Thanks for the heads up on Cafe Rouge, was going to go there for a meal later (with a voucher). I'll probably try one of the other voucher places like Zizzi.

I have had food at Ask when it's on offer and when it's not and it's always been good. Apart from the free wine offer, the wine was pretty bad! Pizza express was fine until I went with a voucer and the pizza was like a prefrozen frisbee, some fod on offer at Strada was also pretty naff but I have never been at full price, it just makes me wonder!