Goin to America

Im planning on going to america closer to christmas for change.But never been on plane that long.The longest for me is 4hours and that was bad enough.lol.just wondering if anyone else has ever been on a plane that long?

Also im not sure off were im goin yet but im wantin to get my tickets online.

has anyone got any wbsites that might be usefull tome?

If you can cope with 4 hours then 7+ wont be much worse. I have flown to US a few times and been on several flights that are 14 hours in length. They are ok, not much dis-similar to shorter haul flights, except they are longer and more boring. Actually, if you take the complimentary drinks and better entertainment systems on the long hauls, then really, not bad compared to short haul.

As for sites... BA have a sale on at the moment. Virgin usually offer some decent deals and failing that, try http://www.cheapflights.co.uk

Take plenty of things to keep you busy; there is a fair choice of films and entertainment on most long-haul flights, but I prefer to have a few books to read, a mini-computer chess game to play, and so on. Also, if you're any good at sleeping on a flight, it will help - particularly on the return journey which is always overnight.

Basically, though, as said above if you can cope with 4 hours, 7-9 hours is not any worse, just longer and more boring.

If you can cope with 4 hours then 7+ wont be much worse. I have flown to US a few times and been on several flights that are 14 hours in length. They are ok, not much dis-similar to shorter haul flights, except they are longer and more boring. Actually, if you take the complimentary drinks and better entertainment systems on the long hauls, then really, not bad compared to short haul.

As for sites... BA have a sale on at the moment. Virgin usually offer some decent deals and failing that, try http://www.cheapflights.co.uk

What part did you go too pal?

I fly to the US quite a bit and am actually off to Washington and NYC in Nov - can't wait!

Depending where you are flying from and to, you may have to change, so although this can make the trip longer, it breaks it up a bit.

As others have said, take books and thinsg to keep you entertained. To and from the US, you are pretty much guarenteed to have inflight entertainment and some complimentary drinks.

As for webistes Travel Supermarket or Expedia are good sites to start.

Obviously where you go in USA reflects the length of flight, San Francisco is nearly 11 hrs compared with New York which is considerably less.

Seat Guru will help you decide what seats are the best on whichever airline you choose.

http://www.seatguru.com/

Valium works a treat. Oh and don't forget to sort our your e-visa or whatever it is (watch out for sights charging for this as it should be free).

I wouldn't fly with American Airlines. I came back on one of their planes. No entertainment, no leg room, no nowt! It was bloody awful! :gag:

If you don't like long flights then you could do a multi city type holiday.

Something like:

New York -> Chicago -> Las Vegas -> Los Angeles -> San Francisco -> Vancouver -> Toronto then back home. Spend a few days in each city.

You can usually get pretty good deals with the US carriers for stuff like this.

Flew with BA to JFK in NYC and it was hard to get bored. Even in economy you have a choice of over 50 films, 20 TV channels, numerous Radio Stations etc.