Why do women wear face paint?

The art of painting one's face (known as "makeup") is interesting to me. I remember as a sprat I always used to observe my mum putting hers on in a morning, as weird as that may sound, but looking back I think there must have been a genuine fascination with this strange daily ritual women partake in, that they crudely refer to as "putting my face on".

I am still rather bemused by the whole thing. What is the true purpose of makeup? That question requires more than a few seconds thought, because there is clearly a psychological complex behind the activity.

To cover or distort one's face is to be ashamed of what lies beneath. It is to condemn nature as intolerably ugly. This is not me merely expressing opinion, it is an objective observation of this activity. To make your face what it is not is to be ashamed of what it is.

I am aware that many women will admit they don't like how they look naturally and therefore feel insecure about facing this image-obsessed world "naked", perhaps for fear of social rejection. However, that brings up another point, perhaps more important than any other - that blind conformity and manufactured consensus rules much of our consciousness.

Ironically, the modern woman, who seeks to highlight and define her features to unnatural degrees, is perhaps only doing so because she doesn't want to "stand out".

I love make up. It gives me a lift for the day. We are not distorting our face , but improving on it ! :)

There's a line from a film I like, it's "The Mirror has 2 Faces". Barbara Striesand and her mother is asking her why she doesn't wear make-up - she replies "Why should I? I'd just look like me, but in colour".

Personally, mainly I just wear mascara as is makes my eyes look more open, but I like glamming up on occasion. I can go all weekend without make-up though, and to be fair, I don't actually look that different!

I'm quite comfortable wearing no make-up, I do so most of the time. When it comes to going out at the weekend though, I feel quite naked and plain without it, so slap it on.

I love make up. It gives me a lift for the day.

So would you say it's like a drug then?

When it comes to going out at the weekend though, I feel quite naked and plain without it, so slap it on.

It's that feeling of being naked or like you're missing something I'm interested in. Have you ever analysed where that feeling is rooted?

All women should be forced to wear make up, especially on monday mornings :gag::hihi::hihi:

It's that feeling of being naked or like you're missing something I'm interested in. Have you ever analysed where that feeling is rooted?

That's the thing, I'm pretty comfortable with myself and my looks, but on a night out, the make-up comes out, don't know why, to fit it maybe, maybe to match my face to my pretty dress, who knows, it's quite sad when you think about it.

All women should be forced to wear make up, especially on monday mornings :gag::hihi::hihi:

all men should be forced to eat sensibly, attend a gym, bathe regularly and demonstrate manners at all times :hihi::hihi:

shame the world isn't perfect eh ;)

That's the thing, I'm pretty comfortable with myself and my looks, but on a night out, the make-up comes out, don't know why, to fit it maybe, maybe to match my face to my pretty dress, who knows, it's quite sad when you think about it.

Well it's understandable if one of the reasons is to fit in. One way to tell I suppose is to imagine if 90% of women took part in a "no makeup day", would you suddenly feel this huge weight off your... face?

So would you say it's like a drug then?

Definitely not ,as I only wear moisturiser and lipstick during a normal day. But on an evening out, I can transform my face into something far more glamorous than my own everday looks.

I love make up. It gives me a lift for the day. We are not distorting our face , but improving on it ! :)

The question is pat...improving for who?