What kind of books do you read

hello i like reading books then go to see the movie the book is always better i think anyway :wave:

I like true crime books personally or books which can improve you.

I.e. Hypnosis and Self Hypnosis, photography books etc.

Computer manuals and local history books :cry:

It's slowly wearing me down...

Just about anything with words:lol:

By preference, Urban Faerytales (Charles De Lint, Terri Windling, etc.), Bantock's 'Griffin and Sabine' stuff, Cyberpunk (William Gibson, Neil Stephenson, Bruce Sterling, etc), only the best Fantasy (i'm very very picky), Young Adult (His Dark Materials trilogy, Lemony Snicket, etc) some horror (again v picky), some fiction. I've just picked up a Brother Cadfael to try out. All the Horrible Histories etc etc Books on local ghosts and legends, ok i'll stop:lol: :lol:

Not books: BBC Wildlife, Mark's FHM if he leaves it lying around, Currently doing a project about plants used by early Britons for dyes, medicine, ritual, so every herbal under the sun plus Flora Britannica.

If desperate: the back of the toothpaste tube or shampoo bottle in the bathroom!:lol: :lol:

A majority of the stuff I read is non-fiction - Archaeology books, Mathematics, Physics, Chaos Theory, etc. along with stuff like Michael Moore (Stupid White Men), Naomi Klein (No Logo), George Monbiot (Captive State) and other socio-anarchic-liberal-anti capitolist-consumerism-corporate etc etc etc. When it comes to fiction, I can be very picky within genres:

Fantasy - I've only really ever read Tolkien (Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and some of the History of ME)

Sci-Fi - again, I've only read Frank Herbert's Dune books

Horror - some Stephen King, James Herbert, HP Lovecraft (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is possibly one of my favourite horror stories)

Others - Will Self is superb, but I'll give pretty much anything a go

I just love reading :D

...........I read all sorts ..........need to get back into it...haven't read for ages....last book I read was Stupid White Men

Originally posted by Miss_60

...........I read all sorts ..........need to get back into it...haven't read for ages....last book I read was Stupid White Men

Yes I read that a couple of months back. I got the UK version from the bargain bookstore on the Moor.

I thought it would make me laugh...but it made me flippin' angry instead!

Why did it make you mad Abby? What's the book about?

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Why did it make you mad Abby? What's the book about?

It was a while since I read it, and I've forgotten many parts, but it goes into detail about sleaze and corruption that surrounds the current Bush administration and some of the scandals they've gotten away with.

It explains how Bush stole the last election (thanks to friends and close relatives in high places striking thousands of registered voters off). And then continues how 'Stupid White Men' running the US have betrayed the middle and lower class in favour of the elite.

The writer presents the book in a funny way, but it made my blood boil (the content, not the writing style). I found it more shocking than funny.

I'll read anything other than fiction, with the exception of Mr Men books.

I am not particularly a reader type person. If it is available on video and I like it enough I may be arsed to read the books - Like Dune :D but then I do love Sting!!! phwoar

Anyway. I generally stick to reference books and such due to my studies. Lots of historical stuff, magickal texts, folklore, supernatural. I steer well clear of the mills and Boon.

Moon Maiden

Originally posted by Hodge

A majority of the stuff I read is non-fiction - Archaeology books, Mathematics, Physics, Chaos Theory, etc. along with stuff like Michael Moore (Stupid White Men), Naomi Klein (No Logo), George Monbiot (Captive State) and other socio-anarchic-liberal-anti capitolist-consumerism-corporate etc etc etc.

For those of who'd like to read Naomi Klein's No Logo, download a copy here:

Important: Right click the link and choose Save Target As... to download it to your computer, unless you want to open it in another browser window. You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to read it.

http://www.sozialistische-klassiker.org/Klein/klein01.pdf

I think it's the full book, but it was scanned in and run through a word processor, so there are a few spelling errors (Nike spelt as Mike etc) and there are none of the photos and diagrams of the original. Buy the original if you like it - it's a very intetesting read.

Fight the Power, Brothers and Sisters! ;)