RIP Debbie Reynolds

It might have been from heartbreak :( She played Grace's mum, in ' Will and Grace '. One of my favourite US sitcoms.

Poor woman. The shock of her daughter's death was probably too much for her at 84.

My husband has a cousin named

because her mother loved Debbie Reynolds as a teenager and watched that movie about a million times. Would a film like this pass for entertainment today, I wonder? Edited by Sierra

I can't imagine how the poor family are feeing.

What a terrible time for their family, you just can't imagine

she was personality really more than anything. She wasn't much of an actress, and couldn't sing - her voice was dubbed by Marni Nixon in 'Singin' in the Rain', and very ironic that at the end of the picture when the curtain is drawn to reveal Jean Hagen miming with Reynolds apparently singing behind her, Reynold's voice is itself being dubbed by Nixon's.

almost all of the movies she was in were terrible, but her performance as a teenager in just that single picture was enough to guarantee her screen immortality. She didn't come from a show business family and had no dance training at all, and MGM, although they could dub her voice, they couldn't get a stand in dancer the same way, and it really is her dancing on the screen, so they put her through this incredibly arduous 15 week or something long crash dancing course which if she hadn't been only 18 years of age, might easily have killed her. And it worked. She holds her own on screen with two of the greatest screen dancers ever who'd been dancing in front of audiences since they were like 3 years old - Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. They did have to wheel out Cyd Charisse to do the really challenging female dance part in that film, but the routines Reynolds did take part in, she was more than satisfactory. But she never danced like that, at the absolutely top level, in another film ever again.

she was popular because the camera caught this girl next door personality and although she came across as being bubbly and effervescent, she wasn't in the least bit threatening to anybody. And being involved in one of the greatest movie star scandals as the 'wronged woman', brought her a lot of public sympathy.

but if you look through her list of films, all of them are terrible, except Singin in the Rain. All the obituaries are mentioning the Unsinkable Molly Brown, for which she got an Oscar nomination, but if you have actually seen the movie, it's only marginally less bad than most of the rest of her films were.

ray of sunshine you are

Gene Kelly is supposed to have said 'it doesn't matter that she can't dance or sing, she can be taught to do that', he just wanted her in 'Singin in the Rain'. For her personality.

That'll do for me.

she was personality really more than anything. She wasn't much of an actress, and couldn't sing - her voice was dubbed by Marni Nixon in 'Singin' in the Rain', and very ironic that at the end of the picture when the curtain is drawn to reveal Jean Hagen miming with Reynolds apparently singing behind her, Reynold's voice is itself being dubbed by Nixon's.

almost all of the movies she was in were terrible, but her performance as a teenager in just that single picture was enough to guarantee her screen immortality. She didn't come from a show business family and had no dance training at all, and MGM, although they could dub her voice, they couldn't get a stand in dancer the same way, and it really is her dancing on the screen, so they put her through this incredibly arduous 15 week or something long crash dancing course which if she hadn't been only 18 years of age, might easily have killed her. And it worked. She holds her own on screen with two of the greatest screen dancers ever who'd been dancing in front of audiences since they were like 3 years old - Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. They did have to wheel out Cyd Charisse to do the really challenging female dance part in that film, but the routines Reynolds did take part in, she was more than satisfactory. But she never danced like that, at the absolutely top level, in another film ever again.

she was popular because the camera caught this girl next door personality and although she came across as being bubbly and effervescent, she wasn't in the least bit threatening to anybody. And being involved in one of the greatest movie star scandals as the 'wronged woman', brought her a lot of public sympathy.

but if you look through her list of films, all of them are terrible, except Singin in the Rain. All the obituaries are mentioning the Unsinkable Molly Brown, for which she got an Oscar nomination, but if you have actually seen the movie, it's only marginally less bad than most of the rest of her films were.

Debbie had a number one worldwide hit with the song Tammy in 1957, so much for ' she could not sing" Sounds OK to me. Check it out on You Tube.

'Tammy' was number 3 on the UK charts in the week I was born (12th November 1957)

I've always had a soft spot for the song after discovering it a few years later.

Made a short video of the song this afternoon here

Edited by BladeSteve