SORN or not to SORN?

I've tried googling this subject but haven't come up with a definitive answer.

This weekend I bought a car that's been off the road/never started for ten years. When it's delivered I'm intending to completely disassemble it (in girlfriend's garage) prior to a fairly thorough rebuild.

Neither the previous owner or myself could work out wether it had to be SORNed or not, There is nothing definitive in the old registration certificate (the 'new keeper's details' being the only bit I've got until a new document arrives in my name).

Although at this moment, best described as a wreck, and the fact that the car won't be taxed or insured until rebuilt, do I have to SORN it to avoid some kind of prosecution? Do I wait until I get the registration certificate in my name, or have to do it immediately?

Ta.

I'd SORN it. By taking ownership of the vehicle you become liable for the tax/insurance and by SORNing (which I believe is pretty cheap?) you avoid liability.

I'd SORN it. By taking ownership of the vehicle you become liable for the tax/insurance and by SORNing (which I believe is pretty cheap?) you avoid liability.

It's free to sorn a vehicle

Hi Alco, from a fellow Crookes resident, only two options, taxed or sorn. Definitely sorn it.

Yes sorn it. Dare I ask what it is? A classic perhaps?

It will cost you nothing but the time to fill in a form to SORN it, but you could get a very nasty bill if you don't and it hasn't been done before. Fill in the form :)

Hi Alco, from a fellow Crookes resident, only two options, taxed or sorn. Definitely sorn it.

I presume I don't have to SORN it just because I live in Crookes as you imply? :P

Yep … I know it's free to SORN, just wondering if I have to bother as the car will be in component pieces, many of which will live in boxes on shelves. I was wondering if there's a point at which a car becomes a non-car and the rules don't apply … what legally constitutes a 'car'?

I haven't got a problem with SORNing it (easy to do online I think) although do I have to do it now, or when I get the updated vehicle registration document in my name from the Swansea boys?

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 19:15 ----------

Yes sorn it. Dare I ask what it is? A classic perhaps?

Yep … a doozey (not literally!). :)

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 19:15 ----------

[/color]

Yep … a doozey (not literally!). :)

:cool:

I think, but don't quote me. It ceases to be a car when there are no identification numbers on it. Even the shell, if it has the chassis number still on it has to be sorned.

I think' date=' but don't quote me. It ceases to be a car when there are no identification numbers on it. Even the shell, if it has the chassis number still on it has to be sorned.[/quote']

Ok … so if I take the VIN plate off and store it in an envelope in a drawer (which I will be), do I have to SORN that? (the VIN plate, not the drawer, obviously). The chassis will be scrapped and replaced.

Edited by Alcoblog

Come on Alcoblog, you have to tell us what car it is now! :D

Come on Alcoblog, you have to tell us what car it is now! :D

It's a design classic! ;)