Why is it so expensive to fly from Sheffield, Doncaster

Just seen an advert for Sheffield Doncaster Airport on TV, but why is it so expensive to fly from there.

UK to Gran Can

Leeds Bradford £65 return

Robin Hood over £1500 return

This is for the same dates and they wonder why no one flys from their unless it business or packages

just seen an advert for sheffield doncaster airport on tv, but why is it so expensive to fly from there.

Uk to gran can

leeds bradford £65 return

robin hood over £1500 return

this is for the same dates and they wonder why no one flys from their unless it business or packages

£1500 ?????????

£1500 ?????????

according to sky scanner

Just seen an advert for Sheffield Doncaster Airport on TV, but why is it so expensive to fly from there.

UK to Gran Can

Leeds Bradford £65 return

Robin Hood over £1500 return

This is for the same dates and they wonder why no one flys from their unless it business or packages

From my quick review the ones that come up on the sponsored linked travel agency from the DSA website has flights stopping off at Dusseldorf and Madrid.

That's three plane journies. Three airport fees and god knows what else.

To be honest, when dealing with little charter only airports like DSA and LBA most people I know dont book through the airport website. They go through a travel agent or airline. I have just found a flight in a few seconds from DSA to Gran Canaria for less than £119 return.

I dont think its necessarilly the airport itself charging such a high price. I certainly think those skyscanner stats are well and truely skewed.

From my quick review the ones that come up on the sponsored linked travel agency from the DSA website has flights stopping off at Dusseldorf and Madrid.

That's three plane journies. Three airport fees and god knows what else.

To be honest, when dealing with little charter only airports like DSA and LBA most people I know dont book through the airport website. They go through a travel agent or airline. I have just found a flight in a few seconds from DSA to Gran Canaria for less than £119 return.

I dont think its necessarilly the airport itself charging such a high price. I certainly think those skyscanner stats are well and truely skewed.

the flight i quoted is direct on the 29 DEC, however if you pick any holiday package and select DSA as a preferred airport the holiday will rise by up to £400, so there has got to be something to do with the airport.

I stand corrected.

I am just surprised as to the only airline I thought that flew direct from Doncaster to Gran Canaria was Thomson Airways.

According to their own website they dont have any flights on 29 December as they only fly out to GC on a saturday.

Anyway, my only advice would be to shop around and double check your websites to make sure you are not being misinformed or misold something.

I stand corrected.

I am just surprised as to the only airline I thought that flew direct from Doncaster to Gran Canaria was Thomson Airways.

According to their own website they dont have any flights on 29 December as they only fly out to GC on a saturday.

Anyway, my only advice would be to shop around and double check your websites to make sure you are not being misinformed or misold something.

your quite right, just it seem a shame the we have a local airport that is so narrow in its service

What are the exact flight details ? £1500 does seem a hell of alot even for the new year period.

I suspect this isn't a direct flight from Donny and is a mix of different airlines due to the lack of carriers operating from Donny.

Edited by WageSlave

its Jeremy Corbyn's fault....

What has it got to do with him? The blame lies squarely with the Sheffield Council.

It depends where you're going and what time of year, plus it's a fairly new Airport. I've had some good bargains from there, malaga £55 and £86 return twice this year.

When it opened (and for a couple of years after) they had some kind of promotional price fix. During that time we flew from there lots of times. It was easy to get to (even easier now) and a short hop from the carpark, perfick.

Nowadays, I agree it has got more expensive, too much so to be worthwhile in terms of convenience etc.

Could it be related to landing charges? I know it has a very long runway

which can accommodate planes too big for other airports so might be more expensive to land?