Do you flash your headlights?

United Kingdom

Though not all of its rules represent law, the Highway Code states "Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users". Drivers warning others about speed traps have been fined in the past for "misuse of headlights".

I have been on a CPC course today, and been told that headlight flashing is not good practice, and should not be done.

I feel it is quite clear, and saves confusion, I am making other drivers aware of my position.

Headlight flashing in the United Kingdom is often used as a signal that the driver flashing you is offering to let you go first. Such use is however strongly discouraged because it can lead to accidents where the driver flashing has not seen the approach of another road user. Using it to indicate that you are coming through and the other driver must wait, could lead to an accident.

In the same regard flashing hazards fog lights or whatever else does not mean "Thankyou" but its a useful signal to have at times.

When I'm following someone who is driving with their rear fogs on despite the absence of any fog, I flash them to let them know of my presence, and that they might want to stop dazzling me.

EL Cid,

I have seen many times the issue with people flashing headlights to let a person out nearly lead to a bad accident.

If you are doing it you have to realise that the "signal" you intend may be seen by several drivers, not only the one you were intending it for. If two drivers react to being let into traffic like this there could be a head on crash.

In my view it is much more safe to use hand gestures as they are clearly directed at a single driver. Although they can only be seen in the day.

Headlight Flashing is just one of those bad habits and a reason why we should really have retesting for drivers every 5 years.

Headlight Flashing is just one of those bad habits and a reason why we should really have retesting for drivers every 5 years.

I am totally in favour of more testing.

Stopping to allow traffic to emerge from junctions is part everyday driving, otherwise we would just have road rage everyday, and flashing your headlights is part of that.

Everyone should make sure they are doing a safe maneuver, flashing headlights or not.

Only if I'm a 100% sure it's safe for the person you are flashing to move off .

Only if I'm a 100% sure it's safe for the person you are flashing to move off .

You cannot know what is safe for another driver, that is their call.

You cannot know what is safe for another driver, that is their call.

Lorries do it all the time on motorways - literally every time they're over taken by another lorry.

United Kingdom

Though not all of its rules represent law, the Highway Code states "Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users". Drivers warning others about speed traps have been fined in the past for "misuse of headlights".

I have been on a CPC course today, and been told that headlight flashing is not good practice, and should not be done.

I feel it is quite clear, and saves confusion, I am making other drivers aware of my position.

Headlight flashing in the United Kingdom is often used as a signal that the driver flashing you is offering to let you go first. Such use is however strongly discouraged because it can lead to accidents where the driver flashing has not seen the approach of another road user. Using it to indicate that you are coming through and the other driver must wait, could lead to an accident.

Most drivers do this , myself included . My view is that by flashing other drivers to warn of a speed scamera is doing the plods job for them. After all the plod claim speed scameras are there as a deterant against speeding, so motorists warning others to slow down is doing the same job as the scamera, unless of course the reason the plod prosecute drivers for doing it is because the scameras are there purely to make money , and the plod actually WANT to catch people over the limit to generate income.

They wouldnt be so low , would they ?

Most drivers do this , myself included . My view is that by flashing other drivers to warn of a speed scamera is doing the plods job for them. After all the plod claim speed scameras are there as a deterant against speeding, so motorists warning others to slow down is doing the same job as the scamera, unless of course the reason the plod prosecute drivers for doing it is because the scameras are there purely to make money , and the plod actually WANT to catch people over the limit to generate income.

They wouldnt be so low , would they ?

I do believe what you're doing is illegal. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343959/Driver-flashed-headlights-warn-motorists-speed-trap-fined.html

I am totally in favour of more testing.

Stopping to allow traffic to emerge from junctions is part everyday driving, otherwise we would just have road rage everyday, and flashing your headlights is part of that.

Everyone should make sure they are doing a safe maneuver, flashing headlights or not.

No it's not. If can be ambiguous and can lead to confusion.

All a headlamp flash should ever be used for is to alert other drivers to your presence on the road. It's no place to be used for a signal.