Prescriptions, delivered?

Is it like this where you live, little van delivering prescriptions?

Do they pay extra, seems like too many vans just to be delivering prescription for those that are housebound. If they are delivered for free, perhaps the NHS pays too much for them?

Supermarket shopping and take-aways, now prescriptions; is there any wonder people are not getting enough exercise.

Is it like this where you live, little van delivering prescriptions?

Do they pay extra, seems like too many vans just to be delivering prescription for those that are housebound. If they are delivered for free, perhaps the NHS pays too much for them?

Supermarket shopping and take-aways, now prescriptions; is there any wonder people are not getting enough exercise.

Yes, where I live an independent chemist provides a delivery service. From my understanding, when prescriptions are issued they are sent directly to the chemist to be processed for patients wishing to use the free service. The independent chemist buy their own vans and pay the drivers to deliver the items.

Why do you have a problem when an independent chemist provides a free service for their local community ?

Why do you have a problem when an independent chemist provides a free service for their local community?

It means less profit for the chemist, and more cost for the NHS. I am awaiting a blood test, will someone come to house and do it, for free?

My other half does this for a living ,most patients she delivers to are house bound in one way or another so are most grateful for this kind of service although there are one or two people who clearly take advantage of the service

---------- Post added 30-11-2016 at 10:39 ----------

It means less profit for the chemist, and more cost for the NHS. I am awaiting a blood test, will someone come to house and do it, for free?

Does it mean less profit for the chemist though ,the chemist my other half works at gets more custom because of offering this service and as for more cost to nhs I'm sure the chemist owners cover all the cost of providing this service

Edited by rudds1

You are writing nonsense. A chemist which provides a free delivery service, will attract more patients having precriptions processed and earn more revenue as a consequence, which funds the free service. The cost to the NHS is the same.

Good luck with the blood test and ask them to do a common sense test on you at the same time.

You are writing nonsense. A chemist which provides a free delivery service, will attract more patients having precriptions processed and earn more revenue as a consequence, which funds the free service. The cost to the NHS is the same.

The NHS must be paying too much for the prescriptions that people walk in and collect themselves?

Is it like this where you live, little van delivering prescriptions?.

Certainly used to be yes. Since the chemist doesn't have convenient opening hours what am I to do - take an afternoon off every couple of weeks or let the chemist shove them through the catflap?

The NHS must be paying too much for the prescriptions that people walk in and collect themselves?

From my understanding the chemist gets about 75p for each prescription they process. I don't think that is too much.

Most prescriptions are sent electronically to the Pharmacy for the patient to pick up. This saves the patient going to the surgery to order them or taking up the GP's time asking for them. It is an excellent service. If the housebound can get their's delivered then this too is a very good thing. The OP should perhaps try to educate themselves.

From my understanding the chemist gets about 75p for each prescription they process. I don't think that is too much.

A quick google says between 70p and £2, 70p sounds very low, but if people are getting 2/3/4 items.

I would have thought having them delivered cuts down on other sales, they are like mini health shops. Selling things like blood pressure monitors and cough sweets.

A quick google says between 70p and £2, 70p sounds very low, but if people are getting 2/3/4 items.

I would have thought having them delivered cuts down on other sales, they are like mini health shops. Selling things like blood pressure monitors and cough sweets.

A pharmacy is a business. If they get and retain more users by delivering prescriptions than it costs them why shouldnt they? :confused:

The chemist will earn more money from the profit they make, in buying the drugs which make up the prescription, than from the fee they get for processing the prescription. It really is common sense logic, that the more prescriptions a chemist handle, then the more revenue they earn.

Bye the way, is someone paying you a fee for every new topic you start ?