Envy or jealousy

Envy or jealousy, why do people criticise George Osborne for making £200,000 for speeches that he has made recently?

Good for anyone that can make money from their own skills and experience. It can be unfair if its not taxed, but people seem to be jealous of ability.

Envy or jealousy, why do people criticise George Osborne for making £200,000 for speeches that he has made recently?

Good for anyone that can make money from their own skills and experience. It can be unfair if its not taxed, but people seem to be jealous of ability.

:suspect:

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'ability'.

If he'd had a bit more then maybe he'd still be Chancellor? :huh:

Oh come on really?

Its obvious envy its the way the Loony Left has always worked. He makes more money from me that's bad, it Must Be Stopped by Taxing The Rich.

The whole trope is that if you dare to be successful and make more than the man on the street then it's Wrong and Bad and you Must Be On The Fiddle.

And if you make it entirely on your own merits, that's the worst of the lot because it really means that you can do it, and others cant and they turn into a pack of rabid wolves at that point to pull you down for, as you say, the crime of being successful.

Do those same people also criticise ex footballers and comedians for earning money on the speech circuits? Kevin Keegan for example will cost up to 15 grand for a speech.

Do those same people also criticise ex footballers and comedians for earning money on the speech circuits? Kevin Keegan for example will cost up to 15 grand for a speech.

I bet Kevin Keegan "Will Love It" if he gets 15 grand for a speech :)

If people want to pay you 200k to talk for a bit then go for it. He would be daft to not do it. After all we all like to make money.

Oh come on really?

Its obvious envy its the way the Loony Left has always worked. He makes more money from me that's bad, it Must Be Stopped by Taxing The Rich.

The whole trope is that if you dare to be successful and make more than the man on the street then it's Wrong and Bad and you Must Be On The Fiddle.

And if you make it entirely on your own merits, that's the worst of the lot because it really means that you can do it, and others cant and they turn into a pack of rabid wolves at that point to pull you down for, as you say, the crime of being successful.

I think that is largely a fantasy of yours. What a lot of people dislike is the massive inequality between what different people get for a similar amount of effort and what they want to see is more equal distribution. For me, it's summed up in "I don't want what they've got, I just don't want them to have what they've got"

It is not inconceivable that a foreign power/special interest would pay a politician through some sort of charity, foundation or educational establishment for a 'speech'.

Of course they would not expect any favours in return.

Of course ex Chancellor could not pull any strings for them.

It's not like that is a form of legalised bribery that's been going on for ages.

It might be that this was genuine speech.

After all people have different tastes in entertainment or whatever.

Just follow the money and keep that in mind when judging any future actions of that politician.

I think that is largely a fantasy of yours. What a lot of people dislike is the massive inequality between what different people get for a similar amount of effort and what they want to see is more equal distribution. For me, it's summed up in "I don't want what they've got, I just don't want them to have what they've got"

I think you have just summarise my exact point. It's the politics of envy.

If it's either, it's definitely envy and not jealousy...unless he's using the money to woo your missus away

I think you have just summarise my exact point. It's the politics of envy.

How is it envy? I don't want their money, I just want it to be distributed more equally among people who don't have enough.

How is it envy? I don't want their money, I just want it to be distributed more equally among people who don't have enough.

:(

It's obviously very complicated but in simple terms the main problem I see with that is...

... how do we decide when someone has 'enough'? :huh: