Ghost roundabout

Anything that is deliberately designed to confuse drivers doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-38063742

Surely this is an accident waiting to happen.

To make matters worst, this trick only works once for regular users using that road.

A raised zebra crossing would have been cheaper, more functional and would have slowed traffic down more. It makes one wonder what goes through the heads of these council planners.

Anything that is deliberately designed to confuse drivers doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I agree, and it baffles me how the highways agency allowed this to be installed.

Road design, markings and layout are supposed to be clear, simple and easy to understand.

Intentionally installing something to confuse motorists seem quite stupid and somewhat reckless.

What happens when someone approaches the 'roundabout', panics and causes a pileup??

What happens when someone attempts to use it as a roundabout and causes a pileup??

They have the same stupid scheme in Pudsey in Leeds.

The accident rate there has shot up apparantley.

Started in March, just finished.

Cost half a million quid as part of other measures.

A raised zebra crossing would have been cheaper, more functional and would have slowed traffic down more. It makes one wonder what goes through the heads of these council planners.

But there are plenty of drivers who moan about raised road surfaces.

There is good evidence that forcing drivers to hesitate is a good safety measure, but I doubt that this is a good example. Examples such as removing all road markings at urban cross roads appear to work. Here, however, as has been noted above, once a driver has used the road once they will just ignore the feature from then onwards, so no long term benefit.

There is good evidence that forcing drivers to hesitate is a good safety measure, but I doubt that this is a good example. Examples such as removing all road markings at urban cross roads appear to work. Here, however, as has been noted above, once a driver has used the road once they will just ignore the feature from then onwards, so no long term benefit.

The same doesn't apply to the raised zebra, it remains effective.

You could argue that forcing drivers to hesitate is only safe in certain situations, such as forcing them to take more time at a junction.

but if they hesitate and/or panic in the normal flow of traffic that can be dangerous.

That's a clever feature. I can see how it would work, behaviourly.

I am sick of traffic lights. I'd get rid of as many as possible. Also I'd convert lots to 4-way simple 4-way red flashing light. It means "stop" in all directions and then it's up to the drivers to use determine who goes when and it works great.