Mystery shoulder pain

So, I have a painful shoulder for no particular reason. It is the area of my right shoulder blade which hurts. It started as a pain in my upper mid back on Monday afternoon, then it moved to my shoulder and seems to be worse today. The smallest wrong movement causes what feels like a spasm in the muscles in the shoulder blade area. It also hurts when I turn my head to look over my shoulder (both ways)

Does anyone have any ideas?

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary on Monday. I sit at a desk all day, and I drove to work. I did pick the dog up a few times, but it's not heavy (10kg).

It's not a severe pain, I'm managing without painkillers (I avoid them unless I'm in agony) but I've never had anything like this before, and pain usually means that something is not right!

it could be almost anything from a strained muscle to norwegian bone worms!

rather than seeking medical advice here there are loads of trained professionals at your gp's surgery, walk in centres and a&e who will be more than happy to give you a diagnosis and suggest a meaningful treatment.

rather than seeking medical advice here there are loads of trained professionals at your gp's surgery, walk in centres and a&e who will be more than happy to give you a diagnosis and suggest a meaningful treatment.

I have had similar pain, and visited my quack twice over it. I think andyofborg has hit the nail on the head.

Angel1.

You don't have a rash do you or ever had Shingles ? Could be nerve pain if so .

Its good to discuss these things, so that the OP can think things over before he sees the doc; at the very least the OP can rule out worms.

Neck pain radiating to the should?

Its good to discuss these things, so that the OP can think things over before he sees the doc; at the very least the OP can rule out worms.

Neck pain radiating to the should?

how do we know we can rule out worms?

the symptoms are very similar to those of an infestation of bone worms

how do we know we can rule out worms?

the symptoms are very similar to those of an infestation of bone worms

What is the prognosis for these bone worms you mention? It sounds very serious :suspect:

Does anyone have any ideas?

Almost definitely from your desk job!

Do you do any muscle stretching exercises?

A good massage or physio will sort you out :)

Almost definitely from your desk job!

Do you do any muscle stretching exercises?

A good massage or physio will sort you out :)

This! As a sufferer of regular shoulder and wrist issues, and tennis elbow I can tell you using a computer all day is really bad for you!

Have you spoken to your local DSE contact at work?

I have had a similar pain, and I took anti-inflammatory's - it can be quite painful, so get to the doctors if it continues.

I had this pain from a bad pillow :( Changed the pillow and after a while, a few antiinflammatory pills and massage it went away.

I had this pain from a bad pillow :( Changed the pillow and after a while, a few antiinflammatory pills and massage it went away.
me too ... but I had too many pillows (2). One thin pillow now and all is good