Chancel repair - now that October 2013 is here

I'm about to buy a house in Sheffield, and my solicitor wants to place a chancel repair indemnity policy (£5) and to charge me £45 plus VAT to do so. As I understand it, there will be no risk of chancel repair liability on me if the house is bought after the deadline of 12 October 2013 (which it will be).

So can I just wait until 13 October, then check that the local parish hasn't by that date registered the liability (if it exists) on the Land Registry title database for the property (cost £3), and then go ahead with the purchase without needing the liability insurance?

Thanks for any advice!

It's not quite so simple.

Do the title deeds or HMLR entries refer to Chancel Liability at all? If they do, the liability may continue; if they don't, you- as purchaser- will be home and dry.

It's not quite so simple.

Do the title deeds or HMLR entries refer to Chancel Liability at all? If they do, the liability may continue; if they don't, you- as purchaser- will be home and dry.

No, no reference to any chancel repair liability in the deeds or land registry entries, and I'd be very surprised if Ecclesall Parish (in which the house is located) goes and registers anything before the 13th October.

Thanks.

Also, remember that there's a difference between:

a. lodging an HMLR application; and

b. HMLR actually registering.

Most likely, anything lodged by the deadline will be 'in time' (as long as it's thereafter actually registered).

HMLR currently quotes five weeks as its estimate for most non-simple applications.