Need help - brick up a chimney

Is there anyone who can advise me on who I would need to remove a gas fire, cap it off and block up the hole and chimney properly. I have been told I may need an air vent in the chimney breast - is this correct? Any advice appreciated. thanks.

Is there anyone who can advise me on who I would need to remove a gas fire, cap it off and block up the hole and chimney properly. I have been told I may need an air vent in the chimney breast - is this correct? Any advice appreciated. thanks.

Where are you please, I can do it.

I've seen plenty of first floor bedrooms with the chimney bricked up or closed off with no sign of an air vent so can't see why one would be required, I suppose if the chimney is connected further up with another chimney or fireplace then an updraft might be needed so fumes don't filter downwards. If the chimney is no longer in use then you may want to consider getting it capped off as well so birds can't fall down into it. The gas supply needs to be capped off by a gas safe engineer although that's a ten minutte job or less. However I have a gas fire and last year really appreciated it when my central heating went on the blink which may be worth keeping in mind.

When you brick up the opening where the gas fire has been it is a good idea to insert a small air grate or vent the material for these air grates can either be in plastic or plaster based.

The external chimney pot should have a gas cowl fitted any way but if not then fit a mushroom cap so as to keep out rain and birds etc.

Make sure that who ever caps of the gas supply is Corgi registered as any slip ups in that dept can be fatal.

Without an air vent to keep the circulation going the chimney will allow condensation to form inside it. The water mixers with soot and other carbons left there and forms a weak acid which eat into the brick morter and after a while it will come through and mark/stain wallcoverings. If left it can weaken the wall itself.

I was told this when I first did my ACOPs gas training 25years ago.