Does Vicks "First Defence" cold treatment work ?

How many people have tried Vicks "First Defence" cold treatment ?

I`ve tried it a few times and sometimes it seems to shorten the cold, other times I`m not so sure. I don`t know if it`s down to the "First Defence" but I have found even if it helps get rid of the cold more quickly I sometimes end up feeling a bit under the weather and with mild cold symptoms for longer.

Any thoughts ?

Most cold cures will cure a cold in 7 days.

Alternatively, you can do nothing and it will be better in a week.

Like Rupert said, i don't think it does anything.

Most cold cures will cure a cold in 7 days.

Alternatively, you can do nothing and it will be better in a week.

When I get a cold it gradually gets worse for a few days, I feel pretty ropey for a day or two, then it slowly clears over the next 4 or 5 days.

I don`t feel like I can train (swimming) during that time, plus I feel crap.

Some people think colds are "just a minor inconvenience", in fact I read that in The Times once. I was livid. I hate getting a cold.

Let`s face it, most people get a cold or two per year for their entire life, and that`s every single person in this country.

If someone told you you`d got an illness which would make you feel crap for about 200 days (70 years at 1.5 colds a year, feeling crap for 2 days) "but don`t worry, it`s only a minor inconvenience" you`d probably feel like punching him, I know I would !

Edited by Justin Smith

For males, colds are A LIFE-THREATENING MAJOR MEDICAL DISASTER!:hihi:

It's a virus, there is no preventative vaccination, you just have to survive ...somehow.

If one of the vast range of cold medications on the market alleviates your symptoms, go for it.

I suspect a lot of people have made huge sums of money from cold cures.

If one of the vast range of cold medications on the market alleviates your symptoms, go for it.

I suspect a lot of people have made huge sums of money from cold cures.

Messrs Bell, Haig and Walker have made a lot of money out of me over the years with their patented cure for a cold

I find that if I self medicate sufficient quantities the cold hardly seems to last any time at all

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1081226.ece

The product does not qualify as a medicine but as a medical device, which means that P&G has not had to carry out extensive trials.

But it has done some unpublished research, which Professor Eccles says that he has seen and finds persuasive. In one trial, 70 healthy volunteers were dosed with a rhinovirus that causes a cold. Among those treated with a placebo, 79 per cent developed a cold, whereas 57 per cent of those treated with First Defence did. First Defence also reduced the severity of symptoms.

In a second trial on 400 volunteers, it was tested against naturally acquired colds. The volunteers were asked to start their treatment four times a day as soon as they experienced cold symptoms. Those using First Defence recovered in an average of 6.1 days, compared with 7.2 days for those using a placebo and 8.9 days for those taking no treatment. Although this is far from a cure, it is an improvement that may justify the £6.99 that the treatment will cost.

Well I`m hammering "First Defence" at the moment beacuse the wife`s got a cold and I`d really rather not get it ! So we`ll see if I actually catch it. The thing is, as with much medical research, if I don`t end up with a cold, you don`t now for sure if the same outcome would have happened without using "First Defence".

If I do get a full blown cold it definitely hasn`t worked though !

I use first defence now and then and it seems to do the trick, i've had the start of a few this year and they've cleared up. but it's horrible stuff, it feels like its melting your brain! I used to have a constant cold when I was a kid. Now I get about one a year thank god but they are a nightmare to shift. I never can get rid of the snot and my ears fill up. Last year I got glue ear. Six weeks I had that cold! I think colds are underrated.

If you think it works, it does. If you think it doesn't work, it doesn't.

I think some people have home remedies that make them feel better, but as far as I'm aware there's nothing that will get rid of a cold quicker than your own immune system. Steaming helps me with menthol crystels to keep me from getting all blocked up.

I think that there's a good possibility that if you have some of this stuff to hand and use it assiduously when you think you may have been infected then it should reduce the symptoms, severity of the cold and the duration of the symptoms, at least a bit.

However, in order for this to work we all have to have spent the £4.77 (current Tesco price 19/10/10) to have a pack of this stuff sitting in our cupboard waiting for the time to be used...