Entitled to an opinion

Isn't the implication of this that nobody has a right to challenge your opinion? I'd say that they do. They can't force you to change it, but they have a right to say that your wrong and why.

I'd agree with that, perhaps I should have made the point more explicit.

Basically, as mentioned above, "you have a right to be wrong..." but if you insist on being wrong, there is no reason why anyone has to respect your opinion. They must respect your right to hold it, but respect for a dumb opinion? No way. :hihi:

How about if I said that Gordon Brown was a brilliant economist and only his policies have stopped the recession being even worse.

Or that anthropogenic global warming is definitely true, or definitely false.

Those things are less easy to prove, one way or the other, but when the evidence is collected and judged, if your conclusion is palpably a silly one, then we will treat it as such. :cool:

^^^What he said.

Not only is there a huge crossover between blue-green and green-blue, but what if you have a different understanding of what makes something blue or green than other people?

"My bolding"

In mine and my wife's case a long argument.

So how about if I say that IMO the sky is green?

I'd say you were on drugs.

You're entitled to believe anything you want, and nobody has the right to force you to change your opinion.

However, not all opinions are equally valid. If you insist on holding the opinion that Edinburgh is the capital of Wales, you are wrong, and you will look very silly.

Not true - believing something, whether it is right or wrong, doesn't make it your opinion.

An opinion must be a view you hold about a particular topic or issue which cannot be proved or disproved by evidence. Believing an incorrect fact is not the same as having an opinion about something.

In my opinion everyone should have a UFO tracking system like mine ;) Its all up and running apart from a bit of tuning on the old shift resonator but it should be good ;) for tonights rumoured launch of a revolutionary, interplanetary craft of some sorts.. Watch the skies, they are coming ;)

nice sig cycline.. don't you hate it when that happens..

Not true - believing something, whether it is right or wrong, doesn't make it your opinion.

An opinion must be a view you hold about a particular topic or issue which cannot be proved or disproved by evidence. Believing an incorrect fact is not the same as having an opinion about something.

You think that opinions can only be held on non factual (or provable?) things. Interesting, I'll see what the dictionary says.

The dictionary seems to agree, but it leaves me wondering, what do you call someones conclusion when it's based on evidence but is actually a misinterpretation (of that evidence)?