The Linux Thread

On a different note:

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2016/04/29/the-city-of-vicenza-is-choosing-zorin-os/

Going back to the makulu comments, Jacque makes it quite clear that the aim is to provide a familiar interface but with all the benefits that GNU/Linux brings under the hood to make the transition easier.

Users of Depin 15.1 might complain it is similar to Windows 8 in respect of 'hot corners' as they are termed, to bring up the panel on the right for settings - I suspect due to poor translation, the word it uses for 'unstable' is what Deepin 15.1 is - for example, the Firewall does not stay on all the time, you have to initiate it at every boot. :lol:

Edited by swarfendor43

Alternative Operating Systems I have recently tried are SoydX (stable community edition) and as of now Voyager 16.04 - well worth looking at, lightweight distributions that are not resource hogs. I have ditched Zorin 12 for Voyager 16.04. With issues I had with Zorin 12 I decided to install Debian Jessie - after installation, neither my user or root password setup during installation would work! Sad as I was looking forward to trying 8 DE's it came with! I then tried Fedora 24 Workstation - after install all I got was a blinking dash 2 inches from the top of the screen - now that's what I call bleeding edge technology! So glad the band aid was near by! :hihi:

Yeah Fedora has its issues but having the latest software can be handy.

Yeah Fedora has its issues but having the latest software can be handy.

I was using a cover disc from Linux Format, don't think that was the issue - waiting for a new drive to see if that might have been the issue (aged Hitachi Deathstar drive!)

I was using a cover disc from Linux Format, don't think that was the issue - waiting for a new drive to see if that might have been the issue (aged Hitachi Deathstar drive!)

A what drive? :P

I always install from USB stick as I got sick of building up a pile of DVDs that were redundant after six months..

It was an LXF Cover DVD - never had issues before with same but tended to use them in live mode - thought I would see what had changed since I last installed Fedora when it was at its 3rd iteration! :hihi:

New Makulu Flash is looking pretty cool! xfce with Compiz that can be turned on and off at the flick of a gui switch with Emerald theme manager. ;):D

New Makulu Flash is looking pretty cool! xfce with Compiz that can be turned on and off at the flick of a gui switch with Emerald theme manager. ;):D

I have to admire your persistence.

VLC Issues in distros based on Ubuntu 16.04.2 and kernel update to 4.10.x.

Had this brought to my attention by a Zorin member and discovered I had the same issue.

No solution yet but am now using SMPlayer to play mp4 videos from here:

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/en/downloads

problem 'solved' by installing different player.

---------- Post added 25-09-2017 at 00:52 ----------

Done some more delving into VLC issue and found there are two versions of VLC in Ubuntu Software. To obtain the later version you have to have an Ubuntu One account before you can download it! See my post here:

http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13442&p=58882#p58882

Have you tried the command line?

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install vlc browser-plugin-vlc