Testing my system backup DVD

Macrium Reflect (free) asked me to use a DVD R-W for making my backup disc but I used a DVD-R because that's all I had. It seemed to work ok but how can I test it to see what's on the disc? I don't want to disturb the Windows 7 that's in my PC of course.

put the disk in and see if theres files on it, as long as you don't start any sort of install you should be ok! :)

No backup is worth anything until it has been proven to work. Probably the best way is to buy a cheap HDD off ebay, unplug the existing HDD and replace with the new blank one. Then run the backup. If it works, you have a mirror copy of your OS and all programs which is a real bonus, plus you know your backup solution really works. Files on a disk mean nothing unfortunately until you prove they do the job.

At a bare minimum, you can always try copying the disk. If it reads without errors then just abort without putting the destination disk in. Although it might not be a bad idea to have a second copy, ideally on a different brand disk.