SORN or not to SORN?

As long as it has a V5 attached to the VIN and engine numbers it exists as a car as far as DVLA is concerned. If you dismantle it then you can put it back on the road, but the paperwork is onerouos, there is a VIC I expect and youd probably end up on a Q plate.

Far easier to fill out the SORN and have done. And you only have to do it once now not every year.

Yep, what he said.

That is the risk you face.

SORN it, its free and takes 5 minutes online. You just need the registration certificate.

SORN it, its free and takes 5 minutes online. You just need the registration certificate.

You can't sorn on line if you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle.You have to use form V890 and send it in the post.

Ok, so here's the result …

I've just managed to get through to Swansea where, having explained the situation, the nice lady told me to print out a V890 form, fill it in, and send it to them.

I asked (out of curiosity) if I could maybe wait until they'd sent me the new registration certificate (in my name) and SORN online. Apparently I could, but would be liable to road tax between taking ownership of the car up to the SORN declaration.

This may be helpful to anyone else wishing to do the same as I.

Form now filled in and off to the post box. :)

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 11:35 ----------

You can't sorn on line if you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle.You have to use form V890 and send it in the post.

Correct. The lady from Swansea has just told me exactly the same thing. :)

Ok, so here's the result …

I've just managed to get through to Swansea where, having explained the situation, the nice lady told me to print out a V890 form, fill it in, and send it to them.

I asked (out of curiosity) if I could maybe wait until they'd sent me the new registration certificate (in my name) and SORN online. Apparently I could, but would be liable to road tax between taking ownership of the car up to the SORN declaration.

This may be helpful to anyone else wishing to do the same as I.

Form now filled in and off to the post box. :)

---------- Post added 05-12-2016 at 11:35 ----------

Correct. The lady from Swansea has just told me exactly the same thing. :)

I think the trick may be to change ownership on-line, at the time of purchase, rather than the vendor posting off the new keeper's details.

I believe you can then SORN on-line as soon as it's been processed.

In my case, when I bought the van, the V5c arrived about 4 days later, rather than the normal 3 or 4 weeks wait.

I think the trick may be to change ownership on-line, at the time of purchase, rather than the vendor posting off the new keeper's details.

I believe you can then SORN on-line as soon as it's been processed.

In my case, when I bought the van, the V5c arrived about 4 days later, rather than the normal 3 or 4 weeks wait.

I didn't realise you could do that either. Too late now as everything's been done snail-mail, but useful information for the future. :thumbsup:

I didn't realise you could do that either. Too late now as everything's been done snail-mail, but useful information for the future. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you can't change address on-line (yet), so I've got 8 to post off for our gradual move to Buxton from Area 51 3/4.

Unfortunately you can't change address on-line (yet), so I've got 8 to post off for our gradual move to Buxton from Area 51 3/4.

Jeez! … you'll need a car transporter! :gag: Good luck! (slightly suspicious over the Area 51 3/4 address though, I don't want to take the rap for any of your untaxed vehicles :suspect:)

Jeez! … you'll need a car transporter! :gag: Good luck! (slightly suspicious over the Area 51 3/4 address though, I don't want to take the rap for any of your untaxed vehicles :suspect:)

Not quite as bad as it seems, 4 are motorbikes, and the van will be sold as soon as we've finished moving.

Still need another garage though, and I have a small fleet insurance policy, which does make things cheaper, as there's only one set of brokerage fees except for the van on a different policy.