Why is it so expensive to fly from Sheffield, Doncaster

When it opened (and for a couple of years after) they had some kind of promotional price fix. During that time we flew from there lots of times. It was easy to get to (even easier now) and a short hop from the carpark, perfick.

Nowadays, I agree it has got more expensive, too much so to be worthwhile in terms of convenience etc.

Could it be related to landing charges? I know it has a very long runway

which can accommodate planes too big for other airports so might be more expensive to land?

Pretty much certain it has nothing to do with airport fees, Doncasters fees should be reasonable enough to attract airlines to fly into it. It's a bit of a myth that Doncaster runway is this super long runway, yes it's long but it's still under 10k feet. Both runways at Manchester are longer than Doncaster.

Having had a look on Skyscanner for flights to LPA flying out 29/12 and returning 1 week later, there are no direct flights. Cheapest Skyscanner is showing is £1100. Outbound via Dublin and and return via Dusseldorf, thats a very odd routing with a mix of several airlines ( Aer Lingus, Air Berlin and Flybe ) and although Skyscanner isn't showing me the fare code, I'm going to say at £1100 along with that routing, it's booking you into full fare economy. Could also be a bit of a mix and match fare, clubbing together several one way fares due to the rather odd routing flying out bound with Aer Lingus and coming back with Air Berlin

Manchester to LPA direct with Thomas Cook on the same dates is £157 return.

Edited by WageSlave

We looked for flights to Faro (Portugal) in September and were fairly flexible with dates 2/3 days either side.

Doncaster was coming out around £370 each, return

Ended up going from East Midlands and paid £72 each return.

Flybe do direct flights Doncaster - Faro

---------- Post added 03-12-2016 at 16:27 ----------

Just my opinion but Ryanair, Easy jet and Jet2 don't fly from there, the cheap budget airlines, I think they all fly from Leeds & East Midlands.

I don't think the demand is there to fly from Doncaster when you have LBA & EMA within 50 minutes of Doncaster.

It depends where you're going and what time of year, plus it's a fairly new Airport. I've had some good bargains from there, malaga £55 and £86 return twice this year.

Me too. We flew out to Bucharest in the summer for around £65 each return on Wizz.

I can only presume the flight you looked up isn't direct? And now I've read the entire thread...apologies. That's nuts. I often fly from there and I've not noticed much higher prices but perhaps some locations are v expensive for some reason? I've seen similar things when booking a package hol from Manchester, often a £100 or so more than London. For package hols only thing I can assume is that the holiday companies have deals with some airports and DSA isn't one of them so you get charged the 'full rate'?

Edited by sgtkate

I was looking at holidays in Cyprus and the flights from Doncaster Robin Hood were dearer because the flight times were better. You were going and coming back in daytime rather than in the early hours of the morning.

Just seen an advert for Sheffield Doncaster Airport on TV, but why is it so expensive to fly from there.

UK to Gran Can

Leeds Bradford £65 return

Robin Hood over £1500 return

This is for the same dates and they wonder why no one flys from their unless it business or packages

what dates?