Unnecessary doctor's appointment

I have been taking thyroxine for an under-active thyroid for over 20 years. The dose is stabilised so I just have a yearly blood test taken by the practice nurse. They always let me know if there are any changes that need to be made and then I need to see the doctor. For several years I have had a request for a 'yearly review'. I have asked the receptionist why I need this when I don't need to make any changes to the dose but to no avail. So tomorrow I have to go and see the doctor after having made an unnecessary appointment as there is nothing wrong with me!!! I cannot get my next prescription unless I go. Hence I am taking up a slot which someone else - who actually needs it - could have had. If you think of all the people this must be happening to, no wonder people have to wait ages for an appointment.

Sounds like a very good doctors practice. They can't just keep repeating prescriptions willy nilly. Shows they care

Sounds like a very good doctors practice. They can't just keep repeating prescriptions willy nilly. Shows they care

They are not giving her a prescription willy nilly . We have to have yearly checks to see if our meds need adjusting ,this is a lifelong condition . Most of us with this condition know if our levels have gone out of sync . Most GPS including Endos won't check anything other than TSh ,most of us have to pay privately to get other bloods done .

Yes I agree it's good the GP wants to see his patient ,shows patient care especially as having one auto immune disease leaves you more susceptible to all the others . ?

I know changes aren't necessary because the receptionist always tells me to just get a new prescription to up or lower the dose slightly if there are any problems - which there aren't and which, by the way, hasn't happened for years. It's not rocket science.

Except that your levels can unexpectedly drop. Mine were stable for ages then started to decline. Even if you suspect they have (extra tired, return of other symptoms) only a blood test can confirm this. As others have said, it's a responsible thing to do, constantly review long-term medication. And on the flip side, some people with some conditions might be able to come off meds, following review/testing and thereby saving money.