Role model for kids

I doubt there is anyone who is totally free of negative qualities. It may be the case that the bar for being a role model is simply too high. For example, Samuel Pepys was a serial adulterer and I (vaguely) remember some stuff about Paula Radcliffe living in tax exile despite utilising taxpayer's money to fund her training (could be absolute nonsense, I just mention it as something that would be an issue for some if true). Yet both have other, really admirable qualities that kids would do really well to aspire to.

In the football world I'd suggest that Gary Lineker has displayed admirable qualities recently and I'd be proud to have a child with a tenth of the courage of Andy Woodward.

Perhaps we should talk about good qualities rather than expecting anybody to be a complete role model.

Closest thing I can envisage to a role model? Malala Yousafzai. No doubt somebody will think the opposite.

My moan is the media call Cheryl one,(racist attack,failed marriages and now up this duff with a toyboy)I wouldn't want my daughter to be like her.

It just goes to show how little talent you have to have to make it big time these days.

Angel1.

My moan is the media call Cheryl one,(racist attack,failed marriages and now up this duff with a toyboy)I wouldn't want my daughter to be like her.

It's good that we all agree on that, and there's a lot of desire for positive role models for our kids with very good qualities. I take that as a positive for society generally!

It's good that we all agree on that, and there's a lot of desire for positive role models for our kids with very good qualities. I take that as a positive for society generally!

Agree,there's loads of self made millionaires who could be classed as a role mode but they are not in our face every day,sports people and so called celebs are,Gareth Bale to me is one of the few footballers who look as though they behave themselves,Rooneys a no no.

Chris Froome ignored by the BBC in their quest to give a face that fits in the sports personality of the year.

Chris just gets on with winning the hardest sporting event on Earth , keeps his own thoughts to himself and does not seek the lime light .

I think we all seem to be drawing the same conclusion on this one, good quality's from different people rather than the over all role model where no body seems to be at the height of the bar set, I would say for self made Millionaires the company I work for was set up by a wonderful example of a great role model good values and still a very very grounded person Phil Doye, unfortunately no Wiki page for him, but a good role model and one of the reasons I took my current job.

---------- Post added 01-12-2016 at 10:47 ----------

Chris Froome ignored by the BBC in their quest to give a face that fits in the sports personality of the year.

Chris just gets on with winning the hardest sporting event on Earth , keeps his own thoughts to himself and does not seek the lime light .

Another great example and in a sport that has had its fair share of bad examples within it, with drugs and cheating.

Why do people think celebrities make good role models?

Chances are your inspirational sportsman is using performance enhancing drugs or is so focussed on their sport that they neglect their friends and family.

Or your inspirational pop star/actor/chat show host is a thoroughly unpleasant person who’s had to step on other people to get to the top of their profession.

I’m not sure why people need role models at all, but if you were looking for one, surely your parents, your teachers or other respectable people within your community would be more appropriate?

Role models; My lovely 90 year old Dad, who I am still learning from even now.

Ann Greaves, the wife of Alan Greaves who was murdered on Christmas Eve on his way to church. This lady has demonstrated true love and forgiveness and also the value of community in the most difficult circumstances.

Another lady who I won't name for fear of embarrassing her, but who is funny, gentle and kind, never says a bad word against anybody, and gives most of her time to helping others.

Why do people think celebrities make good role models?

Chances are your inspirational sportsman is using performance enhancing drugs or is so focussed on their sport that they neglect their friends and family.

Or your inspirational pop star/actor/chat show host is a thoroughly unpleasant person who’s had to step on other people to get to the top of their profession.

I’m not sure why people need role models at all, but if you were looking for one, surely your parents, your teachers or other respectable people within your community would be more appropriate?

That's a rather brave, not to mention defamatory statement!

That's a rather brave, not to mention defamatory statement!

Only if I'd named a specific person and not put "chances are" at the start of the sentence.

Only if I'd named a specific person and not put "chances are" at the start of the sentence.

It'd still be wrong to be fair. Small percentage I'd say.