Cost of new website and ongoing support

Hi all. I work in IT but have nothing to do with websites but a mate asked me how much to build and support one, because he thinks it's all part of IT work.

Imagine there has to be someone on here who does this? If so can you give me an idea of costs or even fancy the job? Cheers

Not offering my services but I know there are someone people on here that do website design/build.

Will come down to what he wants. More information would be good.

Does he want to sell anything on the website? Or will it be a static page with a hand full of pages, if so how many?

There will be the domain name to pay for - a few quid a year. And hosting - cost of hosting will depend on the type of website and how much traffic. But if its a small local business chances are it won't get that much traffic, so a basic hosting package will be fine.

In regards to support it will depend on the site he wants.

If you can post more information I'm sure someone will be able to give you a quote.

It's for a charity, I don't even know which one, but he did say something basic. I don't have any more information I'm afraid. He was just looking for a ball park figure for a website plus support.

It a how long is a piece of string question. Couple of hundred?? Really does depend on what this friend wants. Because it's a charity someone might do it for free or cheap.

Perhaps get this friend to post with some more details.

When I created a site for a charity, this company (they were known as Ariotek at the time) did the hosting for free, we just paid for the domain name and used Wordpress to create and maintain a simple site.

https://krystal.co.uk/

If you use http://www.wix.com you can build your own and maintain it yourself for free.It must be easy because I built one and can maintain it.

He's found he can get it built for free and just has to pay for "monthly updates".

Thanks for all responses.

Glad he's got it sorted.

But I would tell him to make sure he is actually getting something for this monthly fee.

Paying "support" money every month can mean very little because some web designers/developers see it as easy money and don't actually do anything. Of course they aren't all like but just a word of warning.

For a basic site text info and some pictures, that gets updated with news, there shouldn't need to be an ongoing monthly cost, things like WordPress are simple and easy to use, and paying someone to maintain is a waste...

Unless its proprietary stuff, in which case it wouldnt be a free site

He's found he can get it built for free and just has to pay for "monthly updates".

Thanks for all responses.

Why pay when you can get it for nothing?

Because 'for nothing' usually means 'at the expense of scalability, versatility and ownership'.