Broadband wifi connection

We have built an extension. We can't get a signal from our broadband. Its got a concrete beam roof which forms a balcony and is literally a concrete box. How can we improve our signal.

These are amazing and should do the job:

http://www.ebuyer.com/759352-tp-link-av600-wi-fi-powerline-network-kit-tl-wpa4220t-kit-v1-20?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51508046099&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5oZOJ1ZWnqNVjyau5MV3nQIN1d9ibxIwpy65mn4BCSzBoCClLw_wcB

But check Tesco and Asda because they're often on sale, I picked up the previous version - the AV500 - for £20.

These are amazing and should do the job:

http://www.ebuyer.com/759352-tp-link-av600-wi-fi-powerline-network-kit-tl-wpa4220t-kit-v1-20?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51508046099&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5oZOJ1ZWnqNVjyau5MV3nQIN1d9ibxIwpy65mn4BCSzBoCClLw_wcB

But check Tesco and Asda because they're often on sale, I picked up the previous version - the AV500 - for £20.

I agree that these are good but be aware that in order for them to work the sockets need to be on the same circuit. At least that's what reviewers have stated.

I agree that these are good but be aware that in order for them to work the sockets need to be on the same circuit. At least that's what reviewers have stated.

I wonder why that would be? After all all the circuits in the house go back to the same Live/Neutral incoming supply..

I wonder why that would be? After all all the circuits in the house go back to the same Live/Neutral incoming supply..

it wont be able to 'transmit' the signal across 2 ring mains for a few reasons the main being the fact they would be separated via RCD in the box....

it wont be able to 'transmit' the signal across 2 ring mains for a few reasons the main being the fact they would be separated via RCD in the box....

Adaptors use HF digital modulation which get transmitted via the copper cables so should work if its on the same incoming fuse-board as all wiring connects back to that. It should also work if one is on a radial or ring downstairs and another is on a separate radial or ring upstairs for the same reason. An RCD should not make any difference to the operation as that is also permanently live unless tripped or off.

Adaptors use HF digital modulation which get transmitted via the copper cables so should work if its on the same incoming fuse-board as all wiring connects back to that. It should also work if one is on a radial or ring downstairs and another is on a separate radial or ring upstairs for the same reason. An RCD should not make any difference to the operation as that is also permanently live unless tripped or off.

hi they wont work on another ring main ghozer is correct

hi they wont work on another ring main ghozer is correct

Do you have one that does not work on a different ring? If so I would get the electrics checked out as there is absolutely no reason why they will not work between 2 separate rings unless each ring is on a separate phase.

Just a quick edit.

If any of the sockets have surge protectors then that could lower the distance of use or stop them working altogether.

Edited by apelike

Do you have one that does not work on a different ring? If so I would get the electrics checked out as there is absolutely no reason why they will not work between 2 separate rings unless each ring is on a separate phase.

Just a quick edit.

If any of the sockets have surge protectors then that could lower the distance of use or stop them working altogether.

by the way RCD's work (using magnetic field variations) they wouldn't be able to work cross-ring as it would cause the RCD to trip constantly...

by the way RCD's work (using magnetic field variations) they wouldn't be able to work cross-ring as it would cause the RCD to trip constantly...

I know how they work and as they work on current variations and due to one of Kirschoff's laws work on a current balance principle. The main conductor (live) and the neutral are contiguous in the RCD and are not filtered or bypassed in any way. Its only when a imbalance in the live and neutral current causes a change in the magnetic field that is sensed in the RCD core that causes it to trip the relay. A power-line adaptor does not use current but a HF digital signal so cannot cause any imbalance and should not affect or be affected by an RCD. If it was then there would be clear warnings not to use them with RCD's or on different ring circuits as most homes these days have several rings and probably radial circuits.

All you need to consider is that the digital information is passed down the line just like it is with ADSL and phone lines and just like them there may be some degradation over long distances due to the CSA of the wire. If the mains meter can read all the power used in the house then that means everything is connected to one point and digital information can be passed along any branch.

I can send a digital signal along any wire that is connected to the fuse board and pick it up on any wire connected to it in the house regardless of whether there are separate RCD's on each circuit or not. It does not have to be a ring either as it can also work on radial circuits.

Here is a simplified diagram and explanation on an RCD, although modern RCD's don't use a toroid but a ferrite ring that the wires just pass through, but the principle is basically the same.

http://www.powercords.co.uk/howrcd.htm

And some talk on Plusnet about power-line adaptors.

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/thread-id/246519/page/1

I think if you talk to any electrical engineer the will also say the same.

If they are on separate circuits from the consumer unit (interrupted with independent RCDs) then they won't work as well (or maybe at all).

If they are on separate circuits from the consumer unit (interrupted with independent RCDs) then they won't work as well (or maybe at all).

Why? And see above post.