Failed pip assement

Whether or not you think PIP is fair, remember that you're not trying to prove what conditions you have, so medical diagnoses are fine for setting the scene but won't actually make you qualify by themselves. You need to show what impact those conditions have on your daily life and/or mobility.

Loonytunes, for example, clearly has a lot going on but doesn't say anything about the impact of those conditions on him/her. For PIP it's not a competition to see who has the most wrong wth them. Harsh, but true.

---------- Post added 27-05-2017 at 09:50 ----------

And keep a diary of your health and daily needs.

Great advice, especially if your condition is variable in its impact.

Edited by Old_Bloke

Old_Bloke is spot on. There are plenty of people with severe disabilities who find that they want to, and can work with some assistance. It is well known that work of some kind can, and does improve general wellbeing, particularly mental health. The real problem in this country is that we do not spend enough time and money supporting the disabled in work. It is either you are fit to work or not. That is simply not good enough for disabled people who simply cannot cope with a normal work environment.

Old_Bloke is spot on. There are plenty of people with severe disabilities who find that they want to, and can work with some assistance. It is well known that work of some kind can, and does improve general wellbeing, particularly mental health. The real problem in this country is that we do not spend enough time and money supporting the disabled in work. It is either you are fit to work or not. That is simply not good enough for disabled people who simply cannot cope with a normal work environment.

That's were remploy came in but yet this government closed them down. Disabled people can not win hated by the government and if they get back in suspect some will end their lives.

It was a shame that Remploy was closed down. Perhaps more should be done to assist employers to take on people with disabilities. Some disabled people would probably prefer not to work but at least they should have the opportunity to take on assisted paid employment if they choose to. I hope that when people are turned down for PIP they are getting support to return to work - that is the least the government should do.

It was a shame that Remploy was closed down. Perhaps more should be done to assist employers to take on people with disabilities. Some disabled people would probably prefer not to work but at least they should have the opportunity to take on assisted paid employment if they choose to. I hope that when people are turned down for PIP they are getting support to return to work - that is the least the government should do.

How do you know that some disabled people prefer not too work you don't know that nor know their situation they are in. PIP is about how their disability effects their daily life it's Employment and Support Allowance that assessors if they are capable too work or not ESA is a very very hard one to pass hence the high appeal rate . Yes I agree the government should do more like stop making out that disabled people are worthless spongers and frankly should be seen has second class . Since PIP was introduced over 150,0000 have lost their DLA and rising IV never known a UK government who seem L bent on pushing people into provetry.

Of course I don't know who does or doesn't want to work. I make no judgement of anyone. Some disabilities are too troublesome and would preclude a person from work of any kind. Severe and chronic pain would be an example.

Edited by Jomie

Of course I don't know who does or doesn't want to work. I make no judgement of anyone. Some disabilities are too troublesome and would preclude a person from work of any kind. Severe and chronic pain would be an example.

Unfortunately severe and chronic pain is hard to prove, and doesn't seem to count for much with the DWP.

I wonder how much all these assessments and appeals are costing? Maybe if they put this money into the health service instead of paying unqualified people to 'prove' unwell people are well when they aren't, we'd all be better off.

Jomie PIP is an IN work benefit.

You can claim if you work or not.

ESA is the can't work due to illness benefit.

Can I back up Old_Bloke's advice here? The spaces on the form are way too small to include this (use a continuation sheet whenever you need to) but they don't want to know what disabilities you have, they want to know how they AFFECT your daily life.

(using hypothetical information here) Don't answer that it hurts to get up, tell them how rolling over is not possible without help because of the nerve damage down your leg which means that it needs to be moved manually, and it also needs to be moved manually over the edge of the bed to sit up, and how moving from the edge of the bed to a standing position causes pain in your hip and takes support from a carer to prevent you falling forwards as you take your weight on the leg that you can't feel properly.

They want detail of how all of this changes how you have to live your life. Anybody can say that their back hurts, but to be able to describe it in detail, along with the things that they no longer find possible, fleshes it all out and makes it a lot harder to argue against.

This is why most people need help in filling out the forms- they need someone who will draw out the pieces of information that will complete the forms with enough detail and getting them down in a coherent way. I've done lots of forms over the years and these days my forms travel by parcel post because I include hundreds of pages of annotated medical notes and evidence, from a statement from my palliative care consultant to a copy of the scans on my spine and the EMG studies which show that my arm really doesn't work.

I top this all off with a short essay for each question (my latest PIP form used 12 continuation sheets) giving it to them with both barrels about how few things I can do in a day without needing to stop and rest, and how this makes my life ever smaller and smaller. I list every adaptation, every conveniently placed chair or stool that enables me to get round my house, and every little tool and trick that I use to get around my problems.

I know that I'm luckier than many people in that I do have lots of evidence, but most people could have evidence if they asked for it at every appointment (can I have a copy of that letter please? will you send me a copy of the results of that test?) and use that as backbone for a strong form.

Can I back up Old_Bloke's advice here? The spaces on the form are way too small to include this (use a continuation sheet whenever you need to) but they don't want to know what disabilities you have, they want to know how they AFFECT your daily life.

(using hypothetical information here) Don't answer that it hurts to get up, tell them how rolling over is not possible without help because of the nerve damage down your leg which means that it needs to be moved manually, and it also needs to be moved manually over the edge of the bed to sit up, and how moving from the edge of the bed to a standing position causes pain in your hip and takes support from a carer to prevent you falling forwards as you take your weight on the leg that you can't feel properly.

They want detail of how all of this changes how you have to live your life. Anybody can say that their back hurts, but to be able to describe it in detail, along with the things that they no longer find possible, fleshes it all out and makes it a lot harder to argue against.

This is why most people need help in filling out the forms- they need someone who will draw out the pieces of information that will complete the forms with enough detail and getting them down in a coherent way. I've done lots of forms over the years and these days my forms travel by parcel post because I include hundreds of pages of annotated medical notes and evidence, from a statement from my palliative care consultant to a copy of the scans on my spine and the EMG studies which show that my arm really doesn't work.

I top this all off with a short essay for each question (my latest PIP form used 12 continuation sheets) giving it to them with both barrels about how few things I can do in a day without needing to stop and rest, and how this makes my life ever smaller and smaller. I list every adaptation, every conveniently placed chair or stool that enables me to get round my house, and every little tool and trick that I use to get around my problems.

I know that I'm luckier than many people in that I do have lots of evidence, but most people could have evidence if they asked for it at every appointment (can I have a copy of that letter please? will you send me a copy of the results of that test?) and use that as backbone for a strong form.

You have given some very good information and tips on how to fill in the forms for pip.

I have copied this and sent it to a friend who is not on the forum, but is thinking about applying for this benefit.