Advice re a new build property

Thank you for that I will get on to them tomorrow I am a bit concerned that she was pursuaded to go with the developers panel of "solicitors" instead of going with solicitors I have used in the past for conveyancing (irwin mitchell} and find out they are "licensed conveyancers" so i dont know if there may be a difference

You'll find most of IM's conveyancing team aren't solicitors these days. Most of their firm aren't.

That's nothing to pre-judge in terms of quality, but I know for a fact that most of their team aren't qualified as Solicitors. There are other routes of course into law (CILEx for example) and people from those routes can be just as good.

In any event, an employee of a solicitors' firm who provides you with legal services is:

a. supervised by someone who is either a partner or him/herself supervised by a partner; and

b. covered by the firm's professional indemnity block insurance policy.

Thank you for that I will get on to them tomorrow I am a bit concerned that she was pursuaded to go with the developers panel of "solicitors" instead of going with solicitors I have used in the past for conveyancing (irwin mitchell} and find out they are "licensed conveyancers" so i dont know if there may be a difference but she was told that there are always problems if you dont use those who are used to help to buy and new bulid ! probably a load of bull no doubt

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 22:32 ----------

thank you for your advice Dannyboy puts my mind at ease a little !!

No problem, hope your daughter is happy in her new home (once it competes).

The last new build we bought was off plan we exchanged contracts and completed 18months later when it was built, luckily the prices of the houses had risen by 20% by this time

It depends if the contracts are all OK on both sides. Sometimes in can go through straight away but if there are discrepancies in the contracts it can cause delays.

Also, conveyancers can be a little tricky so make sure you have a contact available that you can call to advise on the updates.

AND what if, having exchanged contracts with a long completion date- you find that the mortgagee (lender) withdraws the offer of advance?

You'd have the obligation to complete but without the funds to do it (and you'd face the possible loss of the 10% deposit paid when you exchanged contracts).