Springfield School Play centre

Anyone on here lived in the area of Springfield Junior School and went to the playcentre in the evenings during the year 1960 ?

Anyone on here lived in the area of Springfield Junior School and went to the play centre in the evenings during the year 1960 ?

hiya, john habs, can you tell me how many floors were used for play centre in the 60s, the time i used it was late 40s early 50s, and we used three floors. the top one had two t/tennis tables a three quarter billiard table and two smaller ones the middle floor was in the classroom overlooking the playground, that was for board games, the bottom hall for badminton, and the infants hall for square dancing.

Hello willybite,

As far as I can remember only two halls were used: the top floor - had a full size snooker table, table tennis, and a skittle game ( a ball on a chain and you swung it around to knock down the skittles ), on the same floor was 3 class rooms - one for needle work, one for doing drawings, can't remember what the other one was for.........so long ago !

Down in the bottom hall this was used for dancing to pop music of that era.

Hello Willy bite,

As far as I can remember only two halls were used: the top floor - had a full-size snooker table, table tennis, and a skittle game ( a ball on a chain and you swung it around to knock down the skittles ), on the same floor was 3 classrooms - one for needlework, one for doing drawings, can't remember what the other one was for.........so long ago !

Down in the bottom hall, this was used for dancing to pop music of that era.

hiya john it changed so much in the seven year's after i left, on the top floor were six classrooms, the middle floor were four classrooms, on the bottom floor were three, the middle hall was full of desks that covered the whole of the floor space was used for assembly every morning at 9 o'clock.

of course, they had moved some classes to another school, the classes on the bottom floor were Miss Barrett, Mrs. Tucker, Miss Hall, on the middle floor were Mr Hewson, his class was used for board games, chess, draughts, and a new game at the time monopoly, Mrs Taylor, and Mr. Grocott the other classroom were not used for play centre

in the hall there was piano, and a radio, we had a half hour lesson once a week with the radio.

Edited by willybite