Windows patch to avert WannaCry attacks

Microsoft took the previously unprecedented step of releasing a patch for older, unsupported versions of windows.

Remember that XP Retail is supported til 2019 - that is who it is probably aimed at.

Not True,

However some scientific equipment, cash machines, arrival/departure boards and similar use a stripped down version of

Xp known as Xp-embedded. Support for Xp-embedded ends mid 2019.

There is a hack to enable Xp 32-bit to appear as an embedded system and therefore get security updates, but you should

really be moving to Windows 10 or some other supported OS.

The following link discusses the Xp hack, however you should take notice of the final phrase in the final paragraph:

"upgrade to a more modern—and officially supported—operating system as soon as possible."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html

Not True,

However some scientific equipment, cash machines, arrival/departure boards and similar use a stripped down version of

Xp known as Xp-embedded. Support for Xp-embedded ends mid 2019.

There is a hack to enable Xp 32-bit to appear as an embedded system and therefore get security updates, but you should

really be moving to Windows 10 or some other supported OS.

The following link discusses the Xp hack, however you should take notice of the final phrase in the final paragraph:

"upgrade to a more modern—and officially supported—operating system as soon as possible."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html

Hi Mikes10,

Thanks for the correction - memory (lack of it! LOL!) ain't what it used to be. Any XP here has all networking disabled (Just one machine), which is dual-booted to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

Microsoft took the previously unprecedented step of releasing a patch for older, unsupported versions of windows.

For all the bashing MS gets, it's an impressive move for them to do so.

It's the equivalent of Apple releasing an update for Mac OS X 10.1

I dont think its unprecedented - they have done it before I think but it's a rather rare event to say the least.

But - they had the XP patch ready a month or so before the event if you look at the build date for it. I think it was probably built therefore for those people on the extended custom expensive support.

It was built when the NSA tool that attacked the bug was released by the hacker group whose name I've forgotten, shadow something. It wasn't just for the embedded version of XP.

I never said embedded. But obviously of course you have to be more right than anyone else

Is anyone on extended custom expensive support? From microsoft for any version of windows XP except embedded?

Hi Mikes10,

Thanks for the correction......

Your mention of the date '2019' and 'Xp' triggered in me an old memory:

Some years ago I looked at a piece of X-ray Crystalography kit. The kit itself had ( maybe still has ) Xp embedded to

for controlling motors and senosrs. An Xp Pro 32-bit machine with service pack-2 ( service pack-3 caused some lack of

connectivity ) interfaced with the embedded system. The Xp pro machine was networked to M$ Server-2003.

The whole shebang was managed by a chap whose sole interest was collecting data from the kit to be analysed later,

computer updates were way-down in his list of priorities. The manager has since retired, but as for as I am awhere

the kit is still running. I Don't know if the kit has been upgraded to Windows-7/8/10, but it does demonstrate there are

probably lots vunerable systems in use and very few people if any know about them.

The latest analysis I've seen has suggested that most infections weren't XP based anyway, they were actually windows 7.