The Closed Shop - Reet Ale Pullin Out

A few of us planning on going Saturday night to show support. The Shop, The Blake and The Cask & Welly are our usual Saturday destinations and we like to alternate just to get a change of scenery and beer.

A few of us planning on going Saturday night to show support. The Shop, The Blake and The Cask & Welly are our usual Saturday destinations and we like to alternate just to get a change of scenery and beer.

Anything happening with the Three Tuns?

Anything happening with the Three Tuns?

Not heard anything, shame because it is such an original pub I'd hate it to become yet more flats (you could see the developers rubbing their hands though..people would pay a lot for a room in the "bow" area).

Guest makapaka

The reet company have a bit to answer for with this for me.

A good traditional pub left closed. Shame.

Not heard anything, shame because it is such an original pub I'd hate it to become yet more flats (you could see the developers rubbing their hands though..people would pay a lot for a room in the "bow" area).

Oh christ no! It is a beautiful pub but didn`t it get an ACV thus protecting it from change of use - ?

Went in last night and its not much different from how it was before. Popular with a range of beers that should appeal to most people. Kitchen reopening on Wednesday.

Went in last night and its not much different from how it was before. Popular with a range of beers that should appeal to most people. Kitchen reopening on Wednesday.

Went in Saturday. You're right. Almost exactly the same. Barman was friendly. Beer a bit 'meh'. Although I have to be honest I forgot how decent Proper Job was as an English pale. Didn't compare to the stuff in the Hallamshire opposite tho, which had one of the best Thornbridge ranges on tap I'd seen for a while. Coupled with the Wiper & True Winter's Palace - a 9.2% stout on keg at only £6 a pint. Absolute bargain if you ask me.

As much as I want to like the Closed Shop, it will need a better beer range for me to stay for more than a swift half, whereas the Hallamshire had me for a good couple of hours.

They also have a new Twitter account : @ClosedShopS10

They also have a new Facebook page as well.

They cannot use the old one as whoever has it wanted to charge them to use it, which sounds a bit mean to me.

Closing again this week to reopen as a Stancill pub and brewery tap.

In their usual caring way Punch have already made the existing manager and his family move out.

Edited by taxman

Wonder if the investors got there money back ?

Closing again this week to reopen as a Stancill pub and brewery tap.

In their usual caring way Punch have already made the existing manager and his family move out.

Whilst I'm not a big fan of Punch Taverns, the current operation was on a tenancy at will which is intended as a short term arrangement to keep a pub trading with discounted rent and a very short notice period - which gives the opportunity for the tenant to walk away if it isn't working as a business for them. The idea however is the tenancy at will runs until a long term tenant can be found to take the lease on - which could be the person currently running the pub if after a 'taster period' decides to take it on permanently or it could be someone else.

In this case it is someone else..

---------- Post added 06-08-2017 at 16:26 ----------

Wonder if the investors got there money back ?

It was made clear to the investors it was a short term opportunity.

---------- Post added 06-08-2017 at 16:30 ----------

All that aside, the Closed Shop has been a great pub in its current guise and it is a shame that the manager and staff running it will be going, hopefully they will pop up elsewhere!

Edited by Andy C

Whilst I'm not a big fan of Punch Taverns, the current operation was on a tenancy at will which is intended as a short term arrangement to keep a pub trading with discounted rent and a very short notice period - which gives the opportunity for the tenant to walk away if it isn't working as a business for them. The idea however is the tenancy at will runs until a long term tenant can be found to take the lease on - which could be the person currently running the pub if after a 'taster period' decides to take it on permanently or it could be someone else.

In this case it is someone else..

---------- Post added 06-08-2017 at 16:26 ----------

It was made clear to the investors it was a short term opportunity.

---------- Post added 06-08-2017 at 16:30 ----------

All that aside, the Closed Shop has been a great pub in its current guise and it is a shame that the manager and staff running it will be going, hopefully they will pop up elsewhere!

Looking at the signs in the pub and after speaking to a member of staff yesterday it appears the current management feel they were treated pretty shabbily with Stancill blaming Punch for the lack of forewarning and Punch blaming Stancill.

I agree the pub has been great in it's current guise and we've been going far more regularly. Word has it the current management are hoping to open somewhere else in the local vicinity.

Depending on how busy it was last night the beer is due to run out pretty soon, a couple of wonderful Great Heck's on yesterday!