How much to get a 20ft container from china?

I've heard in passing from a few people "ooo it's cheap to ship stuff in from china" but when ever I've rung round a few companies it's always at least the thick end of £2k to get 20ft container from over there to over here to the point it's cheaper to buy it over here and pay the middle man (who presumably must be making something).

Anyone know of cheaper freight forwarders?

I suppose it depends on whats in the container..if you're shipping 10,000 little things in it then it only costs 20p per item..which is cheaper then first class post :)

It's big things. Mainly some outdoor furniture amongst other stuff, it's already being imported (what outdoor furniture isn't?) so it's a doable thing if I can get it at the right price.

I've heard in passing from a few people "ooo it's cheap to ship stuff in from china" but when ever I've rung round a few companies it's always at least the thick end of £2k to get 20ft container from over there to over here to the point it's cheaper to buy it over here and pay the middle man (who presumably must be making something).

Anyone know of cheaper freight forwarders?

Considering how much haulage is within the UK would consider it cheap. I suppose it depends on your expectations and how much you usually pay or charge. We deal with transport for non hazardous and hazardous waste so that rate I would consider to be cheap.

Considering how much haulage is within the UK would consider it cheap. I suppose it depends on your expectations and how much you usually pay or charge. We deal with transport for non hazardous and hazardous waste so that rate I would consider to be cheap.

Well, its not hazardous waste, its furniture.

Well, its not hazardous waste, its furniture.

If you read I also put non hazardous waste. Even though a driver has to have more training there doesn't seem to be a price difference, hence my clarification in my original post.

You have to consider haulage to the port as well as the journey on the ship. I have no idea on the commercials of that but its not going to be cheap for fuel for such a long trip. Then you have the cost of the ship itself, employees, legal admin etc.

How much were you expecting to pay to consider it "cheap"? The containers themselves aren't cheap to rent as they are expensive to buy.

If you read I also put non hazardous waste. Even though a driver has to have more training there doesn't seem to be a price difference, hence my clarification in my original post.

You have to consider haulage to the port as well as the journey on the ship. I have no idea on the commercials of that but its not going to be cheap for fuel for such a long trip. Then you have the cost of the ship itself, employees, legal admin etc.

How much were you expecting to pay to consider it "cheap"? The containers themselves aren't cheap to rent as they are expensive to buy.

I'm working it out in two ways - A) the current price suppliers in this country charge, after theyve imported it - these arent huge concerns, its not like Im competing with B & Q. B) Hearsay to a point. "I can get them shipped in for £500" -various sources, Im sure somebody said it on SF in fact - I just cant find it. I appreciate the last part of journey can be the most expensive part. But considering some of these container ships can carry tens of thousands of containers, I think its a tad dear.

Could you not split it with another bulk importer in a 40ft container,they can be cheaper per cubic foot than a 20ft container.

There are many companies who import in this way.

Could you not split it with another bulk importer in a 40ft container,they can be cheaper per cubic foot than a 20ft container.

There are many companies who import in this way.

I never thought of that, I just assumed it would be cheaper to have one 20ft than splitting a container because you aren't opening it up and splitting the load. I'll investigate further.

Try Cardinal Maritime.

http://www.cardinalmaritime.com/

We import regularly from Indonesia and pay no more than £ 1650 door to door for a full container .

Its the UK side charges you can get really stung on , hence why we use CM for the full route rather than via an agent.

If you are only importing a few pallets , you can ship LCL (loose container load) which means your stuff gets shipped in a container with other goods.

The price for that depends on the weight and volume.

Try Cardinal Maritime.

We import regularly from Indonesia and pay no more than £ 1650 door to door for a full container .

Its the UK side charges you can get really stung on , hence why we use CM for the full route rather than via an agent.

If you are only importing a few pallets , you can ship LCL (loose container load) which means your stuff gets shipped in a container with other goods.

Thankyou very much for the info gooooogle - I'll definately give them a call. :thumbsup:

Try Cardinal Maritime.

they pretty good on price :)