How long does a house take to dry out after flooding?

I think the title says it all - How long does a house take to dry out after flooding?

Maybe some of the people here who were affected by the Sheffield floods and have had (or are still waiting for) their houses to dry out could advise.

I put this in general discussions and would appreciate that it is not moved to the Sheffield floods board.

well my wall in the hallway was tested with a meter thingy yesterday and it screamed out that it was still wet. So since 25th June its still not dry yet.

I don't think there is any reliable rule of thumb - too many factors that can affect the time taken - but six months and upwards is not at all unusual.

Southwell racecourse, which was also flooded, is in such a bad state that they can't even start to repair the grandstand damage yet, let alone reopen for business. On the other hand, some people are already back home in other parts of the country.

THere are lots of things to consider.

Things that are covered dry more slowly than exposed, exposing items accelerates drying.

You can accelerate drying out using heaters but excess accelerated drying can warp wood and weaken plaster etc.

The safest way to accelerate drying out is the use of a dehumidifer / air conditioner to remove water from the air.

Removing floor boards to create more circulation also helps.

a few years ago my bathroom flooded and caused thousands in damage, took about 5 months to dry out fully and that was through the summer

well my wall in the hallway was tested with a meter thingy yesterday and it screamed out that it was still wet. So since 25th June its still not dry yet.

I think this is going to take a lot longer than the 3 months promised. Ours is still damp after getting flooded on 21st July.

At the bottom of the road where I live, there are houses which were flooded in June. As yet, the occupants are still not back in them.

Have you tried using dehumidifiers? Reducing the levels of humidity in your home can speed up the drying out process.

I would have thought that dehumidifiers would dry out a home in a week or so?

I sympathise with you all who suffered during the flood especially if you're property was damaged. The only way I suffered was having to walk home several hours late from work & walking through knee high puddles.

However I was interested in this thread because on Monday my light bulb in the kitchen exploded & about 2 bucket full of water came through the fitting after I'd forgotten I had put the water

on to run a bath in the bathroom above.

I have left the bulb as it is & haven't used the light since. When do you think it will be safe to use again?

It can take 2-3 days to dry a property. But as long as we delay in drying out the items and property, more damage will be caused. Therefore, drying process should be started as soon as possible. Windows and gates should be left open so that the things dry faster. You should immediately call restoration company as they are experts in implementing the correct process and methods.

Two or three days :hihi:

More like two to four months. I've been flooded twice since I made the original post (I'm using a different forum ID now). The first time was a river that flowed through the house for 24 hours reaching a maximum depth of ~10". That was July 2007 and it wasn't fully dried out until November.

Then I was flooded from above in December 2009 when a pipe burst in the attic and we were away, so the house filled up with water. We didn't get back into the house until July 2010. I don't remember the exact drying time, but it was two or three months.

Both floods were repaired by Halifax Insurance using professional dehumidifying companies.

Two or three days :hihi:

More like two to four months. I've been flooded twice since I made the original post (I'm using a different forum ID now). The first time was a river that flowed through the house for 24 hours reaching a maximum depth of ~10". That was July 2007 and it wasn't fully dried out until November.

Then I was flooded from above in December 2009 when a pipe burst in the attic and we were away, so the house filled up with water. We didn't get back into the house until July 2010. I don't remember the exact drying time, but it was two or three months.

Both floods were repaired by Halifax Insurance using professional dehumidifying companies.

I hope the OP's house has dried out now...it was 5 years ago... :D