Pictures of attercliffe pubs

I'm currently trying to get together a collection of pictures of current and bygone pubs in the Attercliffe area but have had a great deal of difficulty in locating a couple, namely the Carlton Inn and the Broughton Inn.

If anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Hi possible site of broughton inn corner of brougton attercliffe comm now arena car park

when it closed taken over by ALL TOOLS now on staniforth rd opp woodburn rd if i am right any old staff might be able to help you another poss ible place of information again old staff could be SMITHS MOTOR CYCLES GREENLAND RD BOTTOM OF CATLEY RD they had there old shop next to what i think was the broughton hope this helps

I used to have an 2 excellent pictures of the Hilltop pub on Attercliffe common and the Gate opposite, now sadly lost.

The Carlton was further down the road where the Abbey National building is opposite Meadowhall Retail Park.

In the "run" of Attercliffe pubs I think it fell between the Lambpool and the Commercial situated in a row of terrace shops.

One of these shop was known as the "overall shop"

They used to sell and re furbish s/hand overalls and hang them outside.

I know for a fact some excellent photos of this shop exist in Sheffield archive and in some Attercliffe books.The Carlton may just appear on them.

A company called Neil Shacklock [still in existence] and used to have premises in that row,and as a long shot they may be able to help.

God Meaks your right, its not that long since I had a drink in there too.

Must be going senile.:loopy:

Can't now for the life of me now remember the name of the pub I was going on about, it was actually between the Carbrook and the Commercial.

Where was the Commercial? Would have been long before my time in Sheffield probably.

Opposite the Carbrook was the the Stumble Inn, which was formerly the Pheasant. Sadly this has been closed recently and sold off for offices.

The Wentworth is still a nice popular little pub, although the handpump has gone.

God Meaks your right, its not that long since I had a drink in there too.

Must be going senile.:loopy:

Can't now for the life of me now remember the name of the pub I was going on about, it was actually between the Carbrook and the Commercial.

i think it was called the royal or somethink like that

My aunt & Uncle used to manage a Tennants pub down Attercliffe I think it was next door or very near to a cinema, the pub was called the Salutation & I know Gerry Mullens used to drink in there. This was back in the mid 60's. I have often wondered if it is still there.

Janet Olsen

Thanks all. Meaks ... the Commercial was at the junction of weedon street and Sheffield road next to the old tram sheds (tile depot now). Best pint of Wards in Sheffield there when Reg had it. As for the Salutation inn, it was renamed in the early 80's as 'Lydias' and was a pub of ill repute (or so I've heard) and was finally demolished in the later 80's.

Thanks all for the interest and the replies.

There were two pubs in between the Carbrook and the Commercial. there was The "Royal" and the "Union" ( I saw Cassius Clay fight Oscar Bonavina on telly in the Union in the 60's ) It also had Table Tennis matches upstairs. There could have been another Pub called " Burns Hoel on the corner but I never saw that one

Hi Owlface, There are two books, widely available, titled " A wander up the 'cliffe and "a further wander up the 'cliffe by Michael Liversidge. They both contain photos of the two pubs you mention ( Carlton and Broughton). There are photos of all the old pubs, going back years, from Carbrook up to Saville Street. There is also loads of info on all the businesses that were situated in Attercliffe over the years. I can strongly recommend them to anyone who lived or worked down Attercliffe.