Sheaf market sheffield

What year did the sheaf market open and what year did it close.

Opened in 1973. Demolished in 2002. Quite a short life really. Thought it opened earlier than that.

Link. Link. Link.

Thanks for that but still can't seem to find out what year it closed.

Opened in 1973. Demolished in 2002. Quite a short life really. Thought it opened earlier than that.

Link. Link. Link.

Was this the one originally called the rag and tag market (outdoor market)on the opposite side of the road to the Meat and fish market (indoors) on Exchange Street where Violets Pie and Pea place was/ I remember my mum and dad talking about the Sheaf Market - thought this was the Meat and Fish Market and that was in the 1950's.

Edited by Sandy Steer

Was this the one originally called the rag and tag market (outdoor market)on the opposite side of the road to the Meat and fish market (indoors) on Exchange Street where Violets Pie and Pea place was/ I remember my mum and dad talking about the Sheaf Market - thought this was the Meat and Fish Market and that was in the 1950's.

The one I linked to was the 'new' Sheaf Market built next to the site of the 'old' Sheaf Market aka the Rag 'n'Tag. Photo here, with the new Sheaf Market on the right. I only knew the latter as a car park.

A glance at Google Maps tells me that both sites now appear to host some of the inevitable nondescript squat cube buildings that seem to be popping up like toadstools all over the city.