Westerns on TV 50'S and 60'swhat was your favourite

What about the 'baddies'. My favourites are/were Jack Elam, Lee Van Cleef, Dan Duryea, and Richard Boone.

What about the 'baddies'. My favourites are/were Jack Elam, Lee Van Cleef, Dan Duryea, and Richard Boone.

Agreed, also add Jack Palance, Neville Brand, Charles Bronson before he became a star and Bruce Dern, a bit later to my list. Don't forget Lee Marvin as Liberty Vallance, although a one off, I admit.

I know this "Cowboy?" wasn't really an actor but on Children's Television in the fifties a chap used to come on, may have been Blue Peter, just cant remember, anyway this chap came on sat round a gas fired camp fire and told of his experiences in South America and America, modern day of course, His Name was Ross Salmon, I can remember he showed us kids how to cook an egg without a saucepan or frying pan, take an orange, cut it in half scoop out the orange leaving a neat orange skin receptacle, crack an egg into it and put it over your camp fire, result a cooked egg.

Radio indeed, you are the posh one, everybody I knew called it the wireless :D
You are the posh one Tony............I only knew it as a "crystal set with a cats whisker"

You are the posh one Tony............I only knew it as a "crystal set with a cats whisker"

We should be sipping chateau chabalay, in our dinner jackets lol

Kemosabe was what Tonto called the Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy usually had Andy Clyde or Gabby Hayes as his sidekick in his films. Gabby Hayes character was called Windy Halliday a role he played into the late thirties, by the forties, Andy Clyde had joined him as California Carlson. Kemosabe means " Faithful Friend / Trusted Scout"

Haven't read all the posts but presume Bonanza has been mentioned?

The above reminds me of a couple of old jokes which made me smile when I remembered 'em:-

The Lone Arranger was lying on his death-bed when Tonto came to his side and asked if he had any last wish? Lone Arranger thanked him and said he would love to know exactly what Kemosabe meant as his trusted friend had called him this for many years. Well, said Tonto - I'm not sure I want to tell you but as it's your last wish it means "You look a right pil....ck in that mask!" and

The Arranger was lying on a dirt road one day with his ear to the ground - he was lying still and really concentrating. Tonto rode up and asked him what was happening? Arranger told him that a stage-coach with 6 horses, the front horse had 2 white fetlocks, the driver has a white hat on, has the reins in his left hand and the front wheel has a loose spoke - passed this way five minutes ago! Tonto was amazed and asked how he could tell all that from listening to the ground? It's because 'They've just run over me - that's why!!":):)

A cowboy staggered out of the saloon drunk as a skunk walked to his horse to find it covered head to tail in green paint!.He spun round mad as a hatter and went to the saloon smashing through the batwing doors and shouted"Who,s the guy who painted my horse green?".A chair scraped back and a huge 7ft lumberjack armed to the teeth stood up,"Me why?"said he,"Well"said the cowboy"I just popped in to tell you the first coats dry!".

I still love the old westerns on Sky, our Gert goes mad, she always says that we pay all that money for Sky and I watch the old black and white oldies, what does she know. :loopy:

High Noon where the clock is ticking is a fantastic film.

Yes it has certainly been on TV enough times to qualify as a TV western:)

Read - somewhere! - that it's the only film that lasts exactly the same time as the number of minutes that are spanned by the film, if you see what I mean!

Read - somewhere! - that it's the only film that lasts exactly the same time as the number of minutes that are spanned by the film, if you see what I mean!

Just thought of another couple, Brave Eagle a really old one, mid 50's. Used to watch that one at a neighbours house. They had the only Telly on our street and used to let all us kids on the street watch children's hour every day Another one much later around 1970 was Alias Smith and Jones, a bit of a light hearted. series