Crookes History

I did not really know the people in those houses were we not allowed across there. But I think the ones I saw would be before your time you obviously dont know me. Did you go to western road school. I left there 1958.. Never learnt anything at that school. Went to London did evening classes to do a levels then uni. No one I knew ever had a cat in hells chance of going.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 23:48 ----------

Did any of you attend st lukes methdist church. That seemed to be the hub of my early childhood did everthing there, brownies, guides, pantomine Sunday school I became a Sunday school teacher when 17 that be 1959. Our whole time seem to revolve round it youth club. Played table tennis.

I did not really know the people in those houses were we not allowed across there. But I think the ones I saw would be before your time you obviously dont know me. Did you go to western road school. I left there 1958.. Never learnt anything at that school. Went to London did evening classes to do a levels then uni. No one I knew ever had a cat in hells chance of going.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 23:48 ----------

Did any of you attend st lukes methdist church. That seemed to be the hub of my early childhood did everthing there, brownies, guides, pantomine Sunday school I became a Sunday school teacher when 17 that be 1959. Our whole time seem to revolve round it youth club. Played table tennis.

Didn't think St Lukes was a Methodist Church. Walkley Ebeneezer (Sp) was though.

I used to live on Tasker Road in the 50s. Does anyone remember Barbara Illingwoth; the Richardsons; The Shepherds.

I used to live on Tasker Road in the 50s. Does anyone remember Barbara Illingwoth; the Richardsons; The Shepherds.

Would that be Harvey and Dick Shepherd? And the O'Neils Mick, Eddie, and Robert and of course JC

Edited by USUK

Hi

do you remember the Illingworths?B had polio. I remember playing with JC and the Ryan twins who had hit records and lived close to Tasker road. the Shepherds were Kate and Herbert and their sons Harry and Fred.thr richrdsons were Frank and Bessie

Here is a scan from the 1957 Kelly's Directory that might include some names that Tasker Road folk will recognise..:)

Thankyou v much for the scan, hillsbro. It is fantastic.

My grandmother, uncle, and neighbours - the Leemans are mentioned and The Illingsworths - Horace married to Bertha I wonder what happened to Barbara their daughter who I used to play with. There was a gang of kids, one of whom was JC. I went to Lydgate Lane school.

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 10:06 ----------

hi hillsbro, or should I say Sherlock!

I can't send a private mail as I haven't put on enough posts yet. THANKYOU. I have spoken to Barbara.We are so grateful for the info.

My grandmother, uncle, and neighbours - the Leemans are mentioned and The Illingsworths - Horace married to Bertha I wonder what happened to Barbara their daughter who I used to play with. There was a gang of kids, one of whom was JC. I went to Lydgate Lane school.

I can't send a private mail as I haven't put on enough posts yet. THANKYOU. I have spoken to Barbara.We are so grateful for the info.

Do you remember anyone named Haythorne at Lydgate Lane school ?

Hi Laura, I am in touch with Barbara I's brother Tony, so I will ask him how she's going, Bab's was born on my birthday, I lived 5 doors up from them until I was 13, then we moved away.

I don't remember a lot of those names, mainly because they were older or younger people, like yourself, but Joe was my best mate, and I knocked about with John Mitchell and the Oneil's too, except for Robert who was the youngest one.

I used to live at 23. Also knew Barbara and her friend. Judy she lived on St Thomas

My great Grandma (Mary Ambler) lived on, I think, Stothard Road. She died in 1958 at the age of 87. I remember her as a very nice and gentle woman. I spent many hours on the Bolehills when I used to visit her.

Hello,I've just joined. Lived Truswell Avenue 1950s. The lorry at the top was Mr Butterworth's,his daughter Enid was my friend. Had great fun hiding behind that lorry,especially when you were called to go to bed. I remember the Masons,McInallys,Olivers Martins lived at the bottom. There weren't many cars and we had lots of freedom to run around.At Lydgate Lane school I remember Carol Young,Carole Marsh,Lorraine Birkinhead from Cross Lane. Timothy Reed,David Jameson,Jane West,Anita Harris,Ernest Pike from Northumberland. Jill Hoyland,Katherine Ellis,and the first coloured child I'd met,Anthony Crane. It was very cold not like the schools now,and we walked everywhere,no one took us there and back in a car.