Segs and steel tips .

Even today all my shoes have segs and metal inserts on the heels.

My father always had segs in the heels of his shoes, and everyone locally recognised his footsteps!!!

When I was around eleven and started a paper round [for Amies on the Manor Top] my old dad Jim who adopted me when no one else could be bothered decided that I needed some proper boots .

And so it was down to the Army and Navy shop on the corner of St Pauls Parade in Town.

Piled up in the corner of that shop was a pile of worn boots.

Now those boots had been discarded by the Army as no longer fit for purpose due to missing segs and steel tips they were also very heavy and the leather was as stiff as an alligators arse.

The Smallest size was a 7 and even though I was only a size 5 at that time it was decided that they would fit as long as I wore two pair army socks.

So half a crowns worth of boots along with two pair of socks were loaded onto the 102 bus to Gleadless.

When we got home the hobbing foot was got from behind the door where it was used as a door stop when not hobbing boots and shoes and this along with a old tin box full of segs,steel tips and old bike tyre strips was set up on the back yard.

All missing segs and steel tips were hammered into place followed by a soaking in melted dubbin ,then it was time for the launching down the hill that was Gleadless Crescent [ A Crescent later stolen by the Council and given over to posh people:mad:].

Any way the boots were magic and got all the Crescent kids jealous to deeearth as I clicked, skidded and slithered with sparks flying of them boots that had probably been to Dunkirk or Normandy before being commandeered by me and Jim from the shop on St Pauls Parade.

The next weeks paper round [four miles twice a day for ten bob a week] where purgatory as those boots slobbed giving me blisters as well as cutting into my upper ankles leaving large red wheels ,but old Jim told me that they would wear in time.

I know he was as proud of those boots as me and never let on that I some times hidded them behind Mrs Humphrey hedge and wore my wellows which also gave red rings around the calf area making my legs look like a pair of chapped turkey necks.

But he was right after around a month or so they got broke in and did around forty miles a week summer and winter ,summer with sparks flying and winter with the most artistic pattern ever seen in a Gleadless snow storm.

The pattern consisted fifteen uniformed indents as the segs sunk in as well as two half moons front and back where the steel tips proudly displayed the four screw heads that never budged [old Jim could screw for England].

I had em up to leaving school four years later and even though they were then to small They took me all the way to Bradway on a bike [Hurcules] my first day on a building site.[Another story].

Good owd Jim I loved thi!

Cuttsie, I just loved your story. Beautifully told. As for your "another story" if they are as good as this one, then I reckon there's a good book in you.

Cuttsie, I just loved your story. Beautifully told. As for your "another story" if they are as good as this one, then I reckon there's a good book in you.

Thank you,

I enjoy writing on the forum .

As to the other story then that is ongoing on my thread .

[First day at work and end up with a horse.]

One day I might get around to finishing it;)

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 18:27 ----------

Her on't settee has just informed me that to and too are different .

Bloody English language it baffles me;)

---------- Post added 05-04-2015 at 21:07 ----------

About the same time as the segs and steel tips us kids on the Crescent became experts at making the three essentials that no raggy arse kid in the days of Enid Blyton and W.E. Johns could not do without, Winter warmers, Flights and Kites.

The winter warmer was essential from November bomb fire day until Feb in the new year.

It consisted of a large tin can [usually Oster milk or large bake bean].

The can would be filled with sand [pinched from P.W.D.] and then have lots of holes punctured into the sides with a slating hammer.

Wire handles about three foot long were then attached to the can before it was filled with kindling [dry twigs and shavings, this was then lit and once it was roaring away a few bits of coke or coal added .

The can was then swung around our heads until the metal was glowing red ,this became our Winter warmer, why we needed it I forget but it was fun [especially when we shared a pinched Park Drive or Woodbine fag lit from the glowing bomb.

Flights was another craze that gripped us in the summer months.

To make a flight you had to raid the allotments for a straight cain or stick.

The stick then had four slots cut into the top ,these slots needed to be at least 2 inches long.

Then a piece of cardboard [thin piece] was shaped into a arrow head and inserted into the slots.

The stick was then carved [Jack knife] with a sharp point on the other end and was ready to launch .

Chucking a flight was a very skill full past time a past time that would have been handy for that bloke called David int bible to have known about.

To chuck it you tied a knot in a piece of string ,rapped the string around the flight at the top end trapping the knot with one twist.

The other end of the string was wrapped around your hand , you then bent you hand backwards and with great force chucked your arm forward.

The flight would leave the string and fly at least a hundred yards in the direction the chucker had chosen , if by any chance it went of course and hit some one it would have killed them no problem.

Why we did it I do not know.

And then kites ,we built them with brown paper and two canes crossed in the middle finished of with a tail of ripped up pieces of cloth.

We could get them to fly so high the string would run out and Spitfires where in danger.

No bleedin Tablets, Jackonory or X factor for us lot just dawn to dusk adventure coupled with a bath on Sunday if the watter was hot.

---------- Post added 05-04-2015 at 21:20 ----------

Thank you,

About the same time as the segs and steel tips us kids on the Crescent became experts at making the three essentials that no raggy arse kid in the days of Enid Blyton and W.E. Johns could do without, Winter warmers, Flights and Kites.

The winter warmer was essential from November bomb fire day until Feb in the new year.

The can would be filled with sand [pinched from P.W.D.] and then have lots of holes punctured into the sides with a slating hammer.

Wire handles about three foot long were then attached to the can before it was filled with kindling [dry twigs and shavings, this was then lit and once it was roaring away a few bits of coke or coal added .

The can was then swung around our heads until the metal was glowing red ,this became our Winter warmer, why we needed it I forget but it was fun [especially when we shared a pinched Park Drive or Woodbine fag lit from the glowing bomb.

The stick then had four slots cut into the top ,these slots needed to be at least 2 inches long.

Then a piece of cardboard [thin piece] was shaped into a arrow head and inserted into the slots.

The stick was then carved [Jack knife] with a sharp point on the other end and was ready to launch .

Chucking a flight was a very skill full past time a past time that would have been handy for that bloke called David int bible to have known about.

To chuck it you tied a knot in a piece of string ,rapped the string around the flight at the top end trapping the knot with one twist.

The other end of the string was wrapped around your hand , you then bent you hand backwards and with great force chucked your arm forward.

The flight would leave the string and fly at least a hundred yards in the direction the chucker had chosen , if by any chance it went of course and hit some one it would have killed them no problem.

And then kites ,we built them with brown paper and two canes crossed in the middle finished of with a tail of ripped up pieces of cloth.

We could get them to fly so high the string would run out and Spitfires where in danger.

No bleedin Tablets, Jackonory or X factor for us lot just dawn to dusk adventure coupled with a bath on Sunday if the watter was hot.[/QUOT!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 05-04-2015 at 21:23 ----------

Is that where you got your PHd from(Pretty handy dude)?:hihi:

Phd in bull ****e:hihi:

Edited by cuttsie

Thank you,

About the same time as the segs and steel tips us kids on the Crescent became experts at making the three essentials that no raggy arse kid in the days of Enid Blyton and W.E. Johns could do without, Winter warmers, Flights and Kites.

No bleedin Tablets, Jackonory or X factor for us lot just dawn to dusk adventure coupled with a bath on Sunday if the watter was hot.

---------- Post added 05-04-2015 at 21:20 ----------

Thank you,

No bleedin Tablets, Jackonory or X factor for us lot just dawn to dusk adventure coupled with a bath on Sunday if the watter was hot.[/QUOT!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 05-04-2015 at 21:23 ----------

Phd in bull ****e:hihi:

---------- Post added 05-04-2015 at 21:36 ----------

No idea what went wrong ,these buttons are driving me daft.

We used to make those but we called them scotch arrows. We'd tip them with a nail and see how high we could chuck em. The weight of the nail and the flights made them come down vertical, wouldn't have fancied one in the bonce! Round bonfire night experiments with dismantled fireworks and metal pipe were popular, sure fire recipe for a visit from the anti terrorist squad nowadays!

Cheers ,Should be could not!!!!!!.

Altered it;)

I was born in '47 and by the 50s clogs/boots were starting to die out, my mam insisted I wore proper Clarkes shoes, she thought clogs were a bit common so I considered myself a bit above clog wearing kids but secretly envied them and their ability to slide in all seasons!

For trainers:hihi:
That's a good idea. I'll put some on me trainers and then make sparks fly like we used to do on t' cobbles..:P