Anyone live in Crookes in the 40's/50's?

Im trying to find some family history information, and half of Crookes seemed to apparently know this for years. More and more people keep mentioning my grandfather was not biologically my mums dad......and her real father was German POW. If anyone can enlighten us or knows about the "German Twins" born Crookes 1940's. Be very grateful. Thanks. X

Probably not much help but A German Family lived next door to us in the 40's /50's. There was a boy named Clause who was about my age.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 12:56 ----------

I still can't figure out how a German Family was living in Crookes in the mid 40's ??

My dads family lived on mushroom lane crookes family name was Robinson ??? Lillian Robonson Nee Lillian Barraclough

Her husband was Maurice Robinson the moved on to parsoncross when Remmington Road was been built .

Used to be a Lomas family living next to us in 60's where the mother was German.

Born Duncan Rd 1942, survived whooping cough in winter of 1947, went to Western Rd Junior and Infants school then City Grammar. Happy days playing on Bolehills, rivelin valley, den bank..

Moved to Bole Hill Lane 1954, delivered groceries for Melias Sat. Mornings, delivered papers for newsagents next to Noah's Ark pub top of School Rd. Believe it was owned by a mr. townsend who sold it to guy called 'Harry'.

Great days, married and left Crookes 1968,family members lived on St Anthony Rd and Newent Lane until 2001.

Would like to chat to any contempories

Yes, I remember Townsend's. Tiny shop (now a Nail bar or something) with a large turnover, I used to deliver 90 + copies of the Star for 3/6d per week. This would be around 1955. Starting from the bottom of Duncan Road - finishing-up the end of St. Anthony's.

Hi Elmambo

Spent many hours in your cafe. I think I delivered'Stars' on that round a couple of years after you, zFriday night was the worst the papers were twice as thick. Do you remember who bought the shop from Townsend ?

As soon as I had posted this I thought I had got the name wrong - I believe the shop was owned by a man called Jennings.

The "Star" was a broadsheet and much heavier than now, but the Sunday papers were the worst. I remember delivering to the cottages, the Court next to the Herbalist and the four isolated terraced houses (cottages) at the bottom of Duncan Road, all now sadly gone.

Bet you can even remember Mrs Basketer's shop.

Glad you spent some happy hours in my cafe, it had a bit of a reputation at the time, but great fun.

As soon as I had posted this I thought I had got the name wrong - I believe the shop was owned by a man called Jennings.

The "Star" was a broadsheet and much heavier than now, but the Sunday papers were the worst. I remember delivering to the cottages, the Court next to the Herbalist and the four isolated terraced houses (cottages) at the bottom of Duncan Road, all now sadly gone.

Bet you can even remember Mrs Basketer's shop.

Glad you spent some happy hours in my cafe, it had a bit of a reputation at the time, but great fun.[/quote

ur right it was Jennings, not the best shop manager. As well as delivering I used to collect unpaid paper accounts on Sunday mornings and sell cigarettes for him to customers on my rounds. He always paid well though.

I was are regular visitor to Mrs Basketers not by choice more to do with my mum running out of stuff and ordering me or my brother to go. In retrospect it wasn't the most hygeinic establishment.