Has anyone had trouble with Guinness northern counties housing association

i need to find people who have had a similar experience with Guinness northern counties, more to the point with shocking customer service from the Sheffield team and incompetence <removed>. all info treated in strictest confidence, we need to expose this organisation. Thanks

I have had a nightmare for last 7 months or so with Guinness northern counties housing association. I am a tenant and have been the victim of a vexatious and persistent anti - behaviour case against my neighbour for on-going noise nuisance. I am not a well person and was forced into starting to take medication recently to help me cope and relax. GNCHA have openly discriminated against me and caused me to feel harassed. I have several on-going complaints with them at present and the responses I am receiving are completely unsatisfactory. They are not taking into account their responsibilities to me as a disabled tenant, by not making reasonable changes to their practices and forms etc. Also at on Xmas day I was flooded from the neighbour above and have incurred many losses.

I am still waiting for them to repair my flat around 8 weeks after the event. It appears there contact centre in Oldham is not fit for purpose; they cannot coordinate themselves and repair contractors etc. Also it appears the staff in the Sheffield office don't know the relevant legislation when dealing with neighbour complaints, and there is an obvious lack of training there.

I have recently begun to instruct my solicitor. I have also requested a meeting with Paul Blomfield MP.

thanks so much

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Personal names removed

I'm sure they have a complaints procedure, have you not gone down this route?

thanks Frank, yes i'm nearly at the end of the procedure, have a complaints panel hearing soon, but to be honest it's probably not going to be professional or impartial. This is a major problem staff do not investigate the issues fairly or competently and not in line with their own policies, what i need to do is find other tenants with similar issues as i believe it's got much wider potential and scope.

Thanks for your support

You can go to the Ombusman if you're not happy at the end of the process. They are impartial and the organisation will obide by their decision..

yes i know this route, but a tenant should not be forced into a position where they must go to the ombudsman for a resolution, i have every right to expect a professional service with a fair and transparent complaints policy, this is clearly a tool the HA uses to "tire" out complainants hoping they will not take the complaint further, especially when the tenant is disabled.

It is also widely enough known in the professionals circle that the outcomes of ombudsman's hearings are weighted in favour of the HA and not the individual.

What i am talking about is corruption and incompetence and a rotten culture of badly trained and obstructive staff, i am really interested in hearing similar stories.

Frank whilst you have a point, it is one that i am heading in the direction of but what i need is to make a point and obtain as much media interest as i can, as this is bigger and has much wider reaching potential consequences.

Thanks for your support though!

I have been a tenant of Guinness Northern Counties for many years. I have had to make complaints in the past but I have never had any problems regarding the process. I find the staff quite fair. But to be honest you can go to the ombudsman...they would determine whether you have a good case or not, and obviously have to be fair.

Thanks for that although the fundamental problems and the bias towards HA's and not tenants has always been and continues to be a problem. I am currently seeking legal advice as these matters have wider legal implications and reaching and i feel it is the right road to go down. I just need other tenants with similar issues and problems. Thanks anyway!

I am currently at the top of the northen counties list waiting for a property in the area I have asked for. I hope I don't have any problems like yours. So far they seem really nice when I've called up etc.

Hi. Myself and my wife currently and unfortunatly rent from GNCA. At first we had no problems at all but in the past 2 years its really gone down hill.

The staff fob you off with allsorts of rubbish and dont keep their word.

They have bumped our rent up an extra £7.16 per week which is almost another £350 per year with no justification expect " To keep in line with inflation & the electricity costs have risen " They waste thousands of £££ on things that arnt needed. Just a load crap and they hope you just accept it.

I am currently looking into contacting them again as we are truely not happy.

I contacted them twice and the second time i havent even had any response. Very poor customer service IMO.

Hi We live in Manchester City Centre and have set up an online petition concerning Guinness Northern Counties, they are the worst management company ever.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 15:41 ----------

We are taking them to a tribunal along with other properties in the City Centre. They charge us £140.00 a month Service charge and get little back from them, its a complete joke.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 15:44 ----------

We have set up an oline petition where people can sign which I am taking to our local councillor who is assisting us in this matter. The more signatures we can get the better. I will try and post the link tomorrow Ive just tried but this site says I have to of posted 5 times before I can put a web link on it, due to spam, so will keep trying, as would be great if the people of Sheffield could sign up to it, its time for GNC to go!

Hi Audrey, I don't know whether you have resolved your probs with GNC, but I have just come across this thread and would like to say that I too am having major problems with Guinness Northern Counties. I am currently in the process of taking them to the Housing Ombudsman because GNC at Westfield Terrace in Sheffield, are literally preventing me from accessing their internal complaints procedure, refusing to even acknowledge there is a complaint in. I have been to the organisation Shelter, and they too have been a complete joke. I have had to leave my home due to violent threatening behaviour from my neighbour and I am too scared to continue living there. My home has also major sound insulation problems on top of the anti-social behaviour issues I have been experiencing with my neighbour. Environmental Services have conducted a sound test and have found the property to be poorly sound proofed. Northern Counties are still recieving rent on the property, but refuse to allow me access to their complaints procedure or assist in a priority transfer. They are also refusing to do anything about the sound insulation at the property. I am having to live temporarily at my parents, who are both in their 80's, and I just don't know where to turn next apart from seeking help from the Ombudsman. I have lost my independance and my health has been affected by all the problems I have been encountering over the past 3 and a half years.

Edited by diezeltruck