Brewery creates 1.1% ale called "Nanny State" in swipe at Govt.

A brewery that was slated for brewing a beer with an alcohol content of 18.2% has hit back by creating another brew, called Nanny State, at only 1.1% alcohol.

At £2.49 a bottle I wonder how many of the "it's the flavour I like, not the alcohol" types will buy it.

Story here.

A brewery that was slated for brewing a beer with an alcohol content of 18.2% has hit back by creating another brew, called Nanny State, at only 1.1% alcohol.

At £2.49 a bottle I wonder how many of the "it's the flavour I like, not the alcohol" types will buy it.

Story here.

It's stronger than alcohol free beer which sells at about the same price.

Thats something you'd gi the young uns.

Be cheaper to give em a shot of tokyo and top up with lemonade.

I'm inventing another Beer; it's called ...

"Bitchy breweries who should relocate to China, and find out what a real 'Nanny State' is like".

I'm inventing another Beer; it's called ...

"Bitchy breweries who should relocate to China, and find out what a real 'Nanny State' is like".

You've not read yesterday's story about Scotland's labour government trying to bring in a minimum alcohol pricing scheme that would penalise responsible drinkers then?

You've not read yesterday's story about Scotland's labour government trying to bring in a minimum alcohol pricing scheme that would penalise responsible drinkers then?

Nope, I hadn't read that.

Did you read the stories about the Chinese governments' treatment of those who oppose it? (i.e. they kill you then sell your internal organs). I wonder what would happen if the brewery was in China, poking fun at the Government over there..

Nope, I hadn't read that.

Did you read the stories about the Chinese governments' treatment of those who oppose it? (i.e. they kill you then sell your internal organs). I wonder what would happen if the brewery was in China, poking fun at the Government over there..

Why are you comparing two stories that don't relate to each other in any way?

The actions of the Chinese government have got nowt to do with the UK licensing laws! :loopy:

It isn't the stories that relate. That's not my point at all. It's the use of the term 'Nanny State' which is clearly a snipe at our Government, which while we're not perfect, perhaps we're a damn site better than some other other countries, with regards to Government.

If they think we're living in a Nanny State, perhaps a move to some other country, like China, would shed a little little light, and give them a better sense of perspective, in regards, just how much freedom we do enjoy, here in the UK (like, the freedom not to be shot and have your organs whipped out and sold).

Hope that clears things up for you GB.

It isn't the stories that relate. That's not my point at all. It's the use of the term 'Nanny State' which is clearly a snipe at our Government, which while we're not perfect, perhaps we're a damn site better than some other other countries, with regards to Government.

If they think we're living in a Nanny State, perhaps a move to some other country, like China, would shed a little little light, and give them a better sense of perspective, in regards, just how much freedom we do enjoy, here in the UK.

Hope that clears things up for you GB.

So you're saying you're quite happy to have your own personal freedoms restricted because somewhere else in the world some other people have more restrictions on their freedoms than us?

Which seems to me as daft an argument as saying it's okay for me to murder one person because other serial killers have murdered far more people than I have.* :loopy:

* - I haven't murdered anyone really, its just an example. But after a few more months on this forum I might be tempted!

If they think we're living in a Nanny State, perhaps a move to some other country, like China, would shed a little little light, and give them a better sense of perspective, in regards, just how much freedom we do enjoy, here in the UK (like, the freedom not to be shot and have your organs whipped out and sold).

freedom not to be shot? Have you been to South Manchester or East Nottingham?

Isn't a "nanny state", which wants to be overly protective of its citizens in a way that restricts their freedoms, just as a nanny does with the children in her care, just a little bit different to a communist state?

Just a thought.

I would like to try some of that beer though, I'm yet to find any tasy low alcohol booze.