Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

ignoring the current credit crunch low market status id like opinions on people who have used estate agents who have actually gone the "extra" to sell your home. I have a property due to go on the market soon but was unsure of which one. I have experience of winkworth and its 50/50.

any comments?? :help:

Now there's a question!

I can tell you not to go with Saxton Mee.

I have sold through Blundells and they will, in most cases, get the best price for your house and have the best coverage in Sheffield.

I have also bought and sold through Haybrook and I was very impressed. Good communications and everything went very smoothly.

Also certain EA's favour certain areas.

I agree with Granny Granny dont go with Saxton Mee.

Agree, Saxon Mee are awful, we were buying about 8 months ago when the market was just beginning to slide, a lot of estate agents were going all out to get us to view their properties, Saxon Mee weren't even trying! In the end we bought through Bairstow Eves who were very helpful, at one point we nearly pulled out due to some minor damage to the property after we'd made our offer, in the end the director got involved rather than lose the sale. Obviously this is a buyers opinion but it's a buyers market...

You don't really have a choice who you buy through. Its the house that attracts you not the selling agent. You just have to hope they are keen the sale goes through quickly and with the minimum of fuss.

Yes, but if the estate agent won't arrange viewings for potential buyers then it doesn't help, there's a property we really wanted to see which is still on the market now!

I'd say blundells, i bought through haybrook, but found that blundells got the best price and when i was buying blundells really pulled out the stops to help, get feedback etc etc at marketing properties everything.

Yes, but if the estate agent won't arrange viewings for potential buyers then it doesn't help, there's a property we really wanted to see which is still on the market now!

That is a problem but if I wanted a house then a quick knock on the door will do the trick if the selling agent isn't playing ball.

Hmmm maybe blundells it is. is their a flat fee as most EAs do or is it a %? it is widest coverage and presence/advertising that im looking for.

Also looks like i'll avoid saxton mee so thanks for advice !

I have just put my property on the market with Key2go.

I had most of the estate agents round to give me a quote

In the end I knew I wanted the following service:

Board

Brochure with pics

Advert on Rightmove

Appointment maker

Feedback

Negotiator

Vetting of an offer

Instruction on HIP report

Property match

Regular updates

They all offered this but with very different prices - I went for Keytogo as it was an upfront fee of £195 plus I think one of the cheapest HIP reports via Pauline Coates Solicitor of £230 ish and £500 on completion . No cancellation fee. No sole agency. They have 2 offices that you can visit so are not totally internet based. Most of the others wanted to charge a percentage fee of around 1 or 1.5 on completion and in my case it would have been a fortune as my property is expensive,

Up to now I am very happy and will not be too dissappointed if I don;t sell - it will be more to do with the current climate and banks not lending rather than the estate agent.

I am trying to buy a property and no matter what anyone says no estate agent could 'sell' me a property if I was not interested . My only method of buying is to look on rightmove and send for info, visit the property first to check out location and then view.

Good luck with your sale - we will need it

not saxton mee, failed to pass on details of property to people who requested it etc. Rude and arrogant staff.

Never sold a property but I emailed Blundells a couple of weeks ago with 2 simple questions about one of their properties. All I wanted to know was the length of the remaining lease and what the '5% vendor deposit' meant.

I never got a reply.