Sheffield city council- housing benefits service

I want to make a formal complaint against the Sheffield city councils housing benefits department. I know how to do this but would like to do my homework first. Does anyone know how I could look up their policies/procedures info? Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no body that covers them and they pretty much can get away with things unless you try and take legal action. Citizen advice would probably be best bet to get policies

Unfortunately there is no body that covers them and they pretty much can get away with things unless you try and take legal action. Citizen advice would probably be best bet to get policies

Oh great! They must have policies and guidelines to stick to surely?!

There is a complaints procedure https://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/documents/s12560/complaints Chapter 3 points out that an appeal against a HB decision is not dealt with under this procedure. However if your complaint is about the way the council dealt with you then it will be investigated.

Yes thank you but it's not a decision I want to complain about, it's the fact that iv been waiting 5 months for a decision and they have and still are doing nothing but mess me around. So it's the process itself I want to complain about.

They are an absolute shambles, honestly.

Telly don't take this the wrong way as this is meant to be advise, but 5 months isnt that long waiting. They are running 9-14 months behind. Blame the tory government for all the cuts. Know many landlords who are waiting on there residents benefits to be sorted so expect a wait yet I'm afraid

Yes thank you but it's not a decision I want to complain about, it's the fact that iv been waiting 5 months for a decision and they have and still are doing nothing but mess me around. So it's the process itself I want to complain about.

They are an absolute shambles, honestly.

Shelter say it should take 14 days! Some info here. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_delays

Or, it may be worth dropping into one of your local councillors' surgeries.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

A friend has complained about one of the Area Housing Offices via their official complaints procedure. He's gone through all the levels and it's now with the Ombudman in London. Similar procedure also applied to a well known councillor on a connected matter.

I'm working part-time at various hours, so I need to send in my payslip at the start of each month, and I have never had more than 2 weeks to wait for a response.

I can't say I've really ever had an issue with them.

5 months is a little odd.

I think you would have to follow their official complaints procedure before you were to ask any governing body to help you.

5 months does seem an awfully long time.

they will do what they want ,when they want as they are untouchable and I have found horrible in every way over the years,no other company in my opinion could run a type of business like they do.

They are the worst. It's impossible to speak to them, or contact them- the phones are never manned, and they never respond to emails. I was in your position once and it was awful. My advice is to contact your MP. That was the only way I found to get to speak to someone from the council. Nothing else worked.